22

"R-Ro?" Virgil fussed as he gripped the blankets tightly, pain wrapping around him, as he slowly started to wake up. "R-Rom... Ro... Ah!" Virgil gasped as he shot up, the room spinning at the sudden surge of pain. He pressed his palm into his temple trying to nurse the headache that made everything tilt around him. Of course, he had to have that dream. He hadn't had that dream in so long. Why'd he have it now? "Shit."

"Virgil?" Virgil's eyes darted up to see Eliena standing there and he smiled softly. Her eyes lit up as she walked over to feel for a fever. "You're up. I'm glad. You look like your in pain though. Do you need anything? What hurts?"

"Don't..." Virgil's voice came out all hoarse as he just lightly pushed her hands away. "It's not... It's fine. Trust me. It'll stop in a bit."

"Virgil, you were hurt very badly. As your current doctor, I have to know." Virgil could only laugh as he shook his head.

"It normal, Eliena. I'm fine. I'm always in pain when I have that dream." Eliena stopped short as Virgil let out a pained groan. "I don't even know why I had it but... whenever I do I always wake up in pain."

"Oh? Do you want to talk about it?" Virgil shrugged as he looked away trying to work through it all.

"I don't know. It doesn't make any sense. I've told you about my dreams right." Eliena nodded as Virgil stared at his fingers as if counting something with his hands. "There's this boy in them. I never remember what he looks like or his name or anything like that, and when I wake up everything's hazy but... I don't know. I know in the dream he's my friend. It's kind of like what Roman and I have now, I guess. Just that... connection, you know?" Eliena didn't say anything. She just sat down and let Virgil work through it all. She didn't have all the information to truly make a comment anyway. "I dream about him a lot. Like I said, he's my friend. But this one... I just... This is the only dream that makes me wake up with so much pain. It makes me feel like... I hurt him in some way."

"Do you know who the boy is?" Virgil shook his head as Eliena's eyes darkened. "I know you said you don't remember what he looks like or his name but..."

"I didn't have friends, Eliena. I was avoided or hated. No one in the village ever tried to be friends with me. It's just some boy my lonely mind came up with."

"Or..." Virgil frowned as Eliena tried to offer him a small smile. "Or their memories."

"Eliena, I told you. I've never..." Virgil stopped short as Eliena smile only grew. Realization filled the young fae as it all crashed around him. "Oh. You mean of... O-Of fairyland." Seeing how the doctor nodded only made Virgil's heart fall more. "But then... that's so much worse."

"What do you mean?"

"In the dream, he's calling out to me, Eliena. He's begging me not to go... not to leave him and I... I do. I leave him. If its a memory then there's someone out there that I hurt. Someone who cared about me." Virgil couldn't help the way he teared up as the pain in his chest got worse. "I lost someone who meant so much to me and then even worse than that I forgot about him. I... I forgot about him, Eliena."

"I do... I do have to make a comment, Virgil." Virgil frowned as he felt Eliena take his wrist to check his vitals as they talked. "You were calling out to Roman in your sleep."

"To Roman?" Eliena only nodded as she counted the seconds in her head. "Why would I call out for him?"

"Neither of us really knew. Roman himself was confused... no. No, he wasn't so much confused as he was concerned." Virgil's eyes went wide as they darted over to the door wanting his friend to be there but seeing nothing but empty air. "Roman was concerned over what it was you could have been so upset about. He was frantic even... wanting to make sure you were ok. He wouldn't leave you for even a second before I finally got him to rest himself."

"Is he ok?"

"What do you mean? You were the one hurt." Virgil shook his head as he gripped the blankets tightly.

"Roman is highly protective of me. Me getting hurt... Roman would have gotten hurt to just over not being able to prevent it. Eliena, I know him. He would have gotten so upset... so hurt and angry. Please, tell me he's ok. Please?" Eliena's eyes softened as she waved her hand over the boy, emitting a soft green haze to cover him before just smiling. "Eliena?"

"Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you were healed enough before I did anything." Virgil's confusion only grew as Eliena started for the door. "Just rest up for a few Virgil. It'll all be ok."

"But... But you didn't answer my quest-..." The door closed and Virgil just collapsed into the bed highly annoyed. "...ion. Thanks for that..." Virgil rolled his eyes before letting them close. He took a deep breath as he tried to think about his dream. He tried but his head started to hurt. It was like there was something pressing against his skull trying to break through. He had to force himself to stop just as he heard the door creak open again. 

"Virgil?" Virgil couldn't stop the smile that graced his lips as he heard them sit down beside him. "Eliena said you were awake? And that I see you again... so..."

"Hi, Poppy." Virgil mumbled as his eyes fluttered open again to see Roman there with tears in his eyes. "Awe, Poppy, don't cry. I'm ok."

"I was worried, Campion." Virgil nodded as Roman laced their fingers together. "You mean so much to me and... I was scared. You wouldn't wake up and... You kept calling out to me... kept apologizing. I don't like seeing you so scared... so sad."

"I'm sorry." 

"Don't be, Campion." Roman leaned his head against the other's chest making Virgil blush a bit at their closeness. This was normal for them though. Since the start, they've always been touchy-feely. Virgil himself was all about the romantic intimacy between them... the togetherness. Their connection meant the world to them. "Just as long as you're ok now."

"I am." Roman sighed feeling as Virgil tangled his fingers through Roman's hair, the two of them just melting entirely into each other's presence and their bond. "Are you ok?"

"I... wasn't." Roman's eyes darkened as he leaned his head back slightly into the touch. "But I am not that you're awake. I hope you realize... After all this, I'm not going to be able to back down. Not when I know you could get hurt so easily..."

"I know. I understand, Roman. I just didn't want you to worry." Virgil smiled softly as he moved his hands away only making Roman whine a bit at the loss of contact. "I care about you too you know."

"I love you." Virgil only nodded as Roman pushed himself up a bit to meet the other's eyes. "I love you so much, Virgil." You'd think the confession would have taken Virgil by surprise. You might even think that it would cause some anxiety to either one of them but the truth is... Those too had such a strong connection... a strong bond that... It was a wonder that neither had said it before. Sure they said they were friends neither one wanting to put a label on what they had but... they were together. Anyone with half a brain could see those two were in love. So it didn't surprise or bother Virgil at all when Roman finally expressed just how much he felt for the other. Just as it didn't surprise Roman when Virgil responded the same.

"I love you too, Roman."