38

"DAISY!" Patton squeaked in surprise as Virgil tackled him into a hug from behind. "Daisy... Hi!" Virgil giggled as he spun around till he was facing his friend and he just smiled gleefully. "How are you today? I didn't get to see this morning."

"What did you just call me?" Patton's eyes watered as Virgil's smile softened. 

"Daisy." Patton only stayed there in a daze as Virgil sighed with a chuckle. "Hey, Pat? Do you think you could accompany me into the woods today?"

"What why? Wait..." Patton shook his head pulling himself out of his thoughts as he tried to smile again. "I can't, Kiddo. I have activities."

"Please, Daisy. There's something I have to do and if I go alone Roman will have a fit." Patton sighed as he nodded. He really didn't have much of a choice. If he didn't go and something did happen Roman would lose his mind. 

"Sure, Kiddo."

"YAY!" Virgil giggled happily as he took the other's hand and raced to the woods that surround the camp hiding it from unsuspecting eyes.

"Ok so... what are we doing?" Patton whispered softly as they two ventured further into the wooded madness. 

"Picking Herbs." Virgil's response was quick only making Patton falter in confusion.

"Kiddo, you should have a basket then. You can't possibly pick herbs without one. How would you carry it all." Patton started to turn back as Virgil grabbed his arm making him freeze. "Just hold on, I'll go get one and..."

"I don't need one, Patton. Trust me. Besides..." Virgil smiled as Patton's eyes narrowed in concern. "I wanted to talk more than anything."

"Talk?" Virgil only nodded as they started to trek further in looking for any and every possible herb and flower that could be useful. 

"Yep, I wanted to talk with you. I figured picking herbs was a good enough excuse. I had to get some for the trip home with Roman anyway so it works out."

"Trip... home?" Patton frowned as Virgil just smirked at him. "I didn't know Roman was taking you home. Have you decided not to stay here? Oh, I do hope nothing has happened."

"Sorry, I should have specified." Virgil giggled before spotting a bright yellow flower and his eyes lit up. He carefully plucked it from its earthen prison before just staring off at nothing, a soft smile on his lips. "Roman is taking me to Fairyland."

"Awe, that's so sweet. It'll be nice for you to see where he came fro-... WAIT WHAT?!" Virgil rolled his eyes softly as he looked back to see the panic in Patton's expression. "You can't. Any human who steps foot into a fairy circle is trapped there. It's impossible. Why would Roman ever-..."

"I'm not human, Patton." Patton froze up, eyes wide as Virgil's soft smile made him seem to light up. "I'm a fairy, just like all of you. A changling, which is why Roman is taking me... so that I can re-establish my connection with our home."

"You're fae?" Virgil nodded as he held the little flower out, letting his silver magic swirl, as the flower slowly began to float before them. Patton what just stunned. "Who... Who knows?"

"You are the last person to know I'm fae, but the second person for me to tell who." 

"Who?" Virgil laughed as he continued down the path forcing Patton to follow along, frantically trying to catch up while his mind was reeling. "I'm confused."

"I'm a changling, Patton. What's something that could happen if one remains on Earth for too long?"

"They could lose their memory." Patton's eyes shot wide as Virgil nodded. 

"I had forgotten everything until recently. Logan figured it all out before I did but what do you expect from a smart ass like Sage." Patton actually flinched slightly under the nickname and Virgil frowned seeing the pain that was building in his friend. "Roman knows I remember but he doesn't know who I am. I asked him to let me ease everyone into it. Janus and Remus know I'm a changling but that's it."

"So... I'm lost. What is it you want to tell me?"

"You're my best friend, Patton." Patton shook his head making Virgil stop and lean against a tree. "You are."

"No. No Roman is."

"No, Roman's my mate." The shock that filled Patton's eyes was tangible. "That's different. You are my best friend and as such... I had to tell you first."

"Tell me? Tell me what?" There was a crack from behind him making him jump and turn around only for there to be nothing. His eyes narrowed as he slowly turned back around only to freeze on the spot, tears streaming down his face as Virgil looked up and smiled at him, glamour down for any to see. 

"It's been a long time, Daisy. I hope you'll forgive me. Like I said... I only recently remembered." Patton stumbled slightly as Virgil pushed himself off the tree letting Patton brush his fingers over the mark that covered his cheeks. He knew the brownie was just trying to make sure this was real. "Daisy? Are you ok?"

"How... what... I..." He blinked several times letting even more tears gather on his cheeks, his light blue and white magic fluxing around him. "Starlight?" Virgil couldn't help but beam at the name. He missed each and every one of them. "Starlight is that really you? Like... Really you?"

"Now I understand why you named me that. It was a pun." Virgil chuckled softly as Patton stumbled back in shock. "Starlight as in a star's light... I'm a night fairy. It makes sense now."

"Virgil? Please tell me this isn't a joke. Because... That would be the cruelest thing..." Virgil gently took Patton's hand as he shook his head making the brownie falter. 

"It's really me, Daisy. It's really me. Sage is the only other person who knows right though, so please don't..."

"ROMAN!" Patton squeaked at his own volume only to see Virgil frown. "Virgil if this is real you HAVE to tell Roman. You HAVE to!"

"I will Patton, I promise. I'm not keeping anything from him. I'm just easing everyone into it. Roman is going to be the most affected by it. I have to smart about when I tell him." Patton frowned as everything finally started to click into place. "He's my mate, Daisy. If I don't do this right, I could end up hurting him again. Then what... I tell him, he gets hurt, and you all get mad at me because one, I hurt roman, or two, I didn't tell you? Please don't tell anyone. I will... in time. Ok?"

"You're going to tell Roman last aren't you?" Virgil nodded as he gently brushed Patton's hair back.

"Last or not, I am still going to tell him. He deserves to know the truth."