Chapter Twenty-Two

My apartment has never been quieter. The quiet pitter patter of the rain on the window in the living room is the only sound to be heard. The sun isn't shining today, only behind the clouds, causing a shadow to form on the world. Lonely is the word I would use to describe how I feel right now. Lonely in this apartment, wishing I had the one person next to me who wished he was on opposite sides of the world from me. I haven't seen Nate in days, 5 maybe 6, since he walked out of my apartment. Since our lips touched and made me realise how much I want him, no, NEED him in my life. Nate was the one person I could rely on, the person who would help me thorough all of this pregnancy stuff and finally, be a role model for my baby, someone to look up to. But now, he wants nothing to do with me.

I put my book that I'm reading down on the coffee table and slide my feet into my warm slippers. I know this might be a bad idea but I have to know what's going on with Nate. I walk out of my apartment and across the hallway to his front door. It takes me a few moments to gain enough courage to lift my hand up to the door and knock. I can hear the knock echo through his apartment but no one answers the door and I can't hear any movement inside.
"Nate?" I call through the door incase he's inside and ignoring me, hoping he'll open the door. But there's still no answer.

Instead the next door down the hall opens and a white haired and short old woman pokes her head out and looks at me with a warm smile. She reminds me of one of those grandmothers who knits scarves and jumpers and always bakes treats for her grandkids who love her just as much as they love the cookies she bakes. Her slightly wrinkled face tells me she can't be more than 80 but no less than 70. Definitely looking good for her age.
"Are you looking for Nate honey?" Her soft voice asks curiously. I look back to his unopened door and then back at her confused.
"Y-yeah, do you know if he's home?" I ask her politely and hopefully. She shakes her head.
"Hasn't been home for days. Was called into base by his boss for a mission or training or something. You know how it is dear, probably won't be home for another couple of days," she explains. Nate went back to work without telling me? He just left? But he told this old woman instead? She clearly sees the confusion on my face about how she knows all this and nods her head towards her own front door.
"Want to come in for a cup of tea? I'll explain everything to you."