Chapter Thirty-Five

Nate left me with a kiss goodbye early this morning. He told me he'd see me in a few days and he'd miss me. I missed him instantly though, it ached to not have him next to me. The sun was shining through the edges of the curtains which struggled to keep out the morning rays. I tossed and turned in bed, hoping to fall back asleep but my brain was awake now. I sit myself up to stretch out my arms and legs. With a big yawn, I drag my ass out of bed to get ready for my day before Sky wakes up. After showering and quickly shovelling down an apple, I walk into Sky's room, switching the light on and dimming it to a low setting so she's not startled awake cause that will only end in tears. I walk over to her bassinet and watch her gently open her eyes, looking so peaceful and sort of annoyed that I disturbed her. She didn't have a very peaceful sleep last night though, I was up a couple of times, trying to shush her cries and rocking her back and forth.

Nate should be on his plane by now, travelling to wherever the air force is sending him this time. Getting further and further away from me.

"Good morning sweetie," I stand over Sky's bassinet and wait for her to open her eyes completely before going in to pick her up. She stirs in my arms and gurgles a little bit before looking up at me with her bright eyes that remind me of her father's. Shaun's eyes. I remember how they used to make me melt, they held such a place in my heart, I'd dream about them. Now, they bring shivers down my spine, unpredictable about what they want. Maybe Shaun should see his daughter. Maybe she could change him. But I thought I could do that once upon a time too.

I feed Sky and she drinks with no hesitation, as if she hasn't been fed in days when it was only hours ago that I fed her last. As she finishes, I think about what I have to do today. I have to get ready to go back to work next week. I don't want to leave Sky but I have interviewed a couple of nannies to look after her and some of them have impressive history with children which makes me feel better about leaving her. I'll have to go through all those résumés again later.

My phone buzzes on the changing table with an incoming call as I put Sky back in the bassinet with a soft pink blanket that Nate bought her and she can't live without. She cries if she doesn't have it next to her when she's sleeping. I answer the phone.

"Brooklyn Taylor?" The voice is a deep masculine voice. A lump forms in the back of my throat. It sounds professional.
"Yes?" I reply shortly.
"You're listed here as Nathaniel Porter's emergency contact, is this correct?" So many thoughts rush through my head. Nathaniel? This stranger used his whole name, it must be something serious. But what strikes me more is the subject of emergency contact. Nate must have changed it at some point in our relationship but without telling me.
"Yes," I gulp, waiting for him to continue. My hands are shaking. What happened?
"There's been an accident," He begins, bringing my nightmares to a reality.
"The plane in which Nathaniel was boarded with 68 other men has crashed. The pilots did their best to land the plane." My heart sinks.