Chapter Twenty

I wake up to Nate's body against mine, just how we feel asleep last night but our legs are intertwined together. Nate is still fast asleep as I hear his small breaths and shallow snores vibrate through the room. The light is shining in through the slightly open curtain and I cringe at the thought of having to get up today. I have to call work and tell them I can't come in today. I move out from the bed covers and out from Nate's grasp. He stirs a little bit in his sleep before he's still again. I look back at him and see his peaceful sleeping face again and smile softly.

I pick up my phone on which is sitting in the bedside table and dial my bosses number before slipping into the bathroom so I don't wake Nate up. My boss picks up after 3 rings and I explain the whole situation to him. Thankfully he's understanding and tells me to get better and not to worry about work. I thank him once more before hanging up. I look in the mirror and I look like a mess, my skins pale and my hair is knotted. My eyes are red from crying last night and I tru to wipe them to get rid of it but somewhat fail. I use my hand to brush through my hair and wash my face before using the supplied toothbrush and toothpaste to quickly brush my teeth. What am I doing? It's just Nate out there, no one that I need to impress. Am I trying to look good for Nate? No. Definitely not...

I open the bathroom door as silently as possible and close it behind me. Turning around to face the bed, I see Nate awake and scrolling through his phone. He locks it and puts it down as soon as I come into the room.
"Hey how are you feeling this morning?" I smile at him because he's always so sweet and has always put me first.
"I'm feeling much better, just want to get out of here," I wave around the room and walk back towards the bed. He nods and then there's a silence.
"Nate, about last night..." I trail off and gesture towards the bed.
"I know I know, it was wrong, you're still with Shaun and, well, that's the opposite of what he wants," Nate sits up in the bed but looks anywhere else but at me. Is that how he feels about last night? I don't know if that's what I was trying to say but if that's how he feels, I'll respect that. I nod and ring the button for the doctor. Doctor Williams comes in still looking perfect especially for someone who just did a night shift at work. She hands me the discharge papers and I fill them out. After what felt like forever, I finally finish filling out the form and get dressed into my clothes from the day before and Nate is leading me out of the room and down the hospital hallway. When he opens the doors for me to the outside world, the fresh air hits my face and it feels like heaven. Nate walks me to his car but just as we round the corner, Shaun is leaning against the car and stands up straight when he sees us. He does not look happy.