Chapter Fifty

The next few days were spent in bed, wrapped up in the sheets, making the most of Nate's broken leg and the continuous days of maternity leave I had. I hadn't heard from Shaun, so I had been hoping all this time that he got the message and was getting help. I wanted Sky to know her father, so she never had to wonder why he didn't want her or if she was good enough. I've seen cases like that where the child always blames themselves for a parent leaving. I didn't want this to be like that. I hope that if Shaun does choose to stay out of her life, that Nate would be enough for Sky just like he is for me. He is more than enough. More than I could wish for.

"How about we do something today? Go out for lunch? We can bring Sky with us of course," Nate suggests while we cuddle under the sheets. Sky was playing with a toy in a bassinet by our bed when we both look over at her as if to ask her opinion on lunch. We both laugh when she makes a pleased, little squeal.

"Okay, let's get ready to go then," I nod in agreement. Before my answer is barely out of my mouth, Nate jumps out of the bed and is speed walking towards Sky. A surprised giggle exits my mouth as he picks her up.

"Okay, I'll get her ready to go, you get ready in something really hot and sexy. I know a great restaurant we can go to." He exits the room before I can even reply. I get up from the bed and take a quick shower before brushing my hair up into a messy bun and applying a light coverage of makeup. I walk back into the bedroom and there's no sign of Nate yet, he was probably indulging in the time alone he has with Sky. He was sweet with her like that.

I get dressed into a baby blue, low cut, halter-neck top that makes my tits look amazing, especially considering I just had a baby and slip on a pair of white jeans. I pair them with white sandals and head out to see where Nate is. The short walk to the living room makes me excited to be going out, I haven't been out to eat or do anything other than visit a hospital since Sky was born. When I walk out into the living room, Nate is sitting on the lounge, Sky in his arms, baby bag at the ready. His jaw drops instantly, and his eyes rake down my body. He clears his throat before standing up and walking over to me, Sky still silent in his arms. He is practically drooling. I try to stifle a giggle.

"You know what? Let's forget lunch, I want you instead," his voice full of lust. It made my insides burn and crave a taste of him. I shake my head.

"No, I'm actually excited about going out." He looks at me with pleading eyes. "We're going out." I turn him around and grab the baby bag on the lounge before pushing him towards the door. His eyes glow with defeat but I wasn't giving in. He grabs the spare key from the counter that still sits in the same spot from when we had to let ourselves in that day with Shaun. Before we leave, he slips it back into the pot plant outside the door just incase we forget a key again.

Lunch is nice. Nate takes me to a nice and romantic restaurant which still catered for children and we eat lunch while filling our conversation with small talk. But our attention was too preoccupied with food and Sky. Just as the afternoon sun was lowering over the city, Sky begins to cry and my motherly instincts tell me she's tired.

"I guess it's time to head home then?" Nate proposes. I nod and collect Sky's things, piling them into the baby bag. Nate helps me, our hands brushing together on the bag handle and his mouth close to my ear, his breath breathing down my neck. "And then we can have some dessert." I swallowed a lump that formed in my throat and a quiet groan came from deep inside me, shaking my head at his teasing. He smirks and we head back home, Sky in my arms and Nate's arm around my shoulder.

That night, we snuggle into the bed again after putting Sky down to sleep. Nate's arms wrap around my body once more and his lips press to my cheek.

"I love you Brook. So much." His words send shivers throughout my body and I press my body further into his.

"I love you too." We both fall into a deep, deep sleep.

The next morning, my eyes feel groggy but I feel energised, like I slept all the way through the night without a rude awakening from Sky like she does every night. I sit straight up in the bed at the thought. Sky didn't wake us up in the middle of the night. It was weird for her not to wake up in the middle of the night and cry just so one of us could go there and comfort her and remind her that we were right there. I look down at Nate who is still asleep, maybe I didn't hear her and he went instead. I shake him awake and he groans angrily at being woken up.

"Did Sky wake you up last night?" I ask, panic rising not so subtly in my voice. His head turns to face mine in confusion.

"No, maybe she slept through the whole night for once." I make my way to get up and put on one of Nate's jumpers that was lying on top of the dresser.

"Okay, I'm just going to go check on her, see if she's awake," I smile at him before exiting the room and making my way to Sky's room.

"Morning baby girl," I push open her door but don't turn the light on yet, not wanting to wake her abruptly. Instead I go to turn on the small, dim lamp in the corner of her room. When the room is slightly lit, I hear a loud scream pierce through the room, too loud to be Sky's. Within seconds, I realise it's my own scream and Nate is running into the room, turning the ceiling light on, confirming my horrors.

Sky was gone.