Chapter Forty-Two

Sun shines through the small hospital window. The brightness tells me that it's morning but the bags under my eyes and heaviness of my eyelids are saying different. Nate is still fast asleep when I look up at him. I rest my head back down against his chest and take in his scent. His fresh scent of body wash and shower cream wafts around my head, having the same effect it usually does. Making me feel safe. His arms wrap tighter around me, pulling me impossibly closer to his chest like a child would with a teddy that has become their favourite because they are so familiar with it that it gives them a sense of safety. My stomach turns and releases butterflies at the thought of being Nate's safety toy. The thing that he relies on to make him feel safe and comfortable.

A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts and I turn my head around slowly, careful not to wake Nate with the movement. My eyes land on a petite female doctor, blonde hair pulled up into a messy ponytail, some strands falling out at the front. She smiles at me, holding Nate's clipboard in her hands and studies it before deciding that Nate can be released and she will write up the discharge papers. I thank her quietly and look back at Nate's face. He looks peaceful when he's asleep and it almost brings pain to me to wake him up. A frown works its way across his face when I gently run my hand down one of his arms that's tightly wound around me. His eyes flutter open and he looks into my eyes. His mouth turns up in a small smile and he leans forward to plant a kiss on my forehead. Sparks still fly from the spot his lips blessed even after memorising what it's like to be cared for by him.

"Morning," his deep and husky voice whispers out, still filled with sleep. I press my lips to his and our mouths move together, silently speaking the words we're not saying. His tongue runs along my bottom lip but I pull away, trying to ignore the burning feeling inside of me before the hospital gets a show they didn't pay for. Nate lets out a small groan at the loss of contact and pouts at me.

"Don't pout, the wind could change and your face will be stuck like that," I giggle. A bigger smile rises on his face and he chuckles.

"But you would still want me wouldn't you?" He asked. His eyes gleamed with a hint of hope.  There seemed to be more to his question though. I pulled my face back onto the other side of the same pillow we were sharing. I inspect his face further, a frown crinkling the top of mine.

"Of course I would still want you." My eyes at that point were full of reassurance and I was sure he could see it. His gaze falls all across my face starting from my mouth to my forehead and then finally to my eyes again. His arms pull me back into him and he crashes his lips back down to mine, giving my lips the attention they were begging for. This time, I gave in to the ache inside of me and didn't pull away when his lip took mine in a kiss that made my head spin and my lungs breathless.

"The doctor said you can go home today," I say to him in between kisses. He stills and his eyes open wide, excitement dancing behind them. He lets out a woohoo and moves to get out of the bed to get dressed and ready to leave. He winces as he pulls his pants over his ass and does the buttons up just over the muscles of his hips, the v-shaped muscles disappearing behind the piece of material. 

"Let me help you," I move to help him but he shakes his head.

"No it's okay, I've got it." He moves to pull his shirt on but halfway through, a knock sounds at the door and the same doctor as before is standing there with papers in her hand, he lips parted and eyes frozen on Nate's body. I wasn't one to get jealous but the feeling rose in my chest and I look at Nate who looks back at me, definitely reading the jealousy on my face. I look down at the floor before I could act on it.

"Come in," Nate finishes putting his shirt on and comes and sits next to me on the bed, his arm snaking around my waist and pulling me into his waist, my waist fitting perfectly against his. I looked up at him and his eyes bore into mine before he leans in to kiss me on the forehead, reassuring me that he only had eyes for me. I can't help the shiver that runs down my spine as his hand rubs over my back in small circles.

"These are your discharge papers. Just sign on the dotted line and you're all good to go." She smiles politely at us but the smile doesn't quite reach her eyes, not fooling either of us as her eyes dart to Nate's face and body followed by the looks to the floor after handing over the discharge papers. Nate couldn't have signed them faster before picking up his duffel bag off the floor, obviously excited to be leaving these four walls in the past.