Chapter Sixteen

I hear the front door open and notice Nate stiffen at the sound. Shaun was home and he'd probably be less than pleased to see Nate here after what happened last night. My eyes dart to the crib and I let out a sigh because I know what he's going to say about it. I wish he could just accept Nate as my best friend.

"Babe, I'm home," Shaun's voice trails down the corridor and into the nursery. I give Nate an apologetic look and walk out of the nursery and into the living room where Shaun has just put down his briefcase on the dining table. He's ruffling through some papers when he looks up and sees me, a smile twitching at his mouth. The same soft smile that I love to see, the one that makes my stomach flip. I see his eyes dart behind me as Nate turns the corner of the corridor into the same room as us. Instantly, Shaun's eyes go cold and the smile slips from his face, my heart sinking. These two were never going to get along. Shaun closes his briefcase and picks it up off the table, turning on his heel to leave.

"Shaun, wait!" I run behind him and grab his free hand before he can go any further. "Nate was just here to help, he set up the crib for us, as a baby present." Shaun's eyes grow thinner and his cheeks go red in anger. He continues to walk out the door and I begin to go after him when I hear footsteps following behind me. I turn to see Nate at my heel, protectiveness radiating off of him and his shoulders stiff and large. I shake my head.

"Stay here, it's okay. I've got this." He looks at me concerned but nods his head and his shoulders slightly shrink. I run after Shaun, out the door, the click of the lock sounding behind me. He's only a few metres down the hall, near the doors to the elevator.

"Shaun, please wait!" He stops in his path again and turns around.

"Just leave me alone," he growls under his breath and turns back around to continue walking.

"It's a girl," I blurt out without even thinking. He's dead in his tracks once again at the words that tumble out of my mouth.

"What?" His voice is low.

"It's a girl," I repeat slowly this time. He turns around and his eyes have softened.

"We-we're having a little girl?" He mutters, his eyes looking down to my stomach. Within the second, he drops his briefcase on the floor and is walking towards me. His arms wrap around my waist and his lips are on mine within seconds. His lips move slowly with passion over mine and his tongue is slowly exploring my mouth. He pushes me gently and slowly up against the wall and his hands press me by my hips to the wall, never breaking the kiss. He pulls away from me and a whimper leaves my mouth at the loss of contact. He smiles slightly at the sound.

"A baby girl," he repeats and one of his hands moves to my showing belly.

"She's yours Shaun, not Nate's. You're the father. Not him. You don't need to worry about him." His face turns into a frown and his lips return to mine, rougher than the last time. My lips move with his and a hand slips down my body to one of my legs, under my knees and lifts up a leg and wraps it around his waist while hoisting me off the floor. My other leg wraps around him and he's using his body to hold me up off the floor. A moan comes out of my mouth and he catches it in his as my hands reach up and intertwine with his hair. The sound of a door opening and closing brings me back down to earth. I pull away from Shaun and he grunts at the action. I look to my left to where my front door is and see Nate standing there, stiff and a look of pain in his eyes. He looks down at his feet and I see a smirk play at Shaun's mouth. I unwrap my legs from Shaun's waist and feel the hard ground underneath my feet before letting go of Shaun's neck and hair.

"I'm heading off now," are the only words that come out of Nate's mouth before he walks past us down the corridor and doesn't even turn back around to say goodbye.