Chapter Thirty-Seven

My foot taps up and down on the hardwood flooring of my apartment. Anticipation grows inside of me. I need to start driving to the hospital if I want to get there before lunch. I've already packed an overnight bag because I'll try and find a hotel near the hospital and stay there the night. I'm worried about so many things though. What injuries did Nate sustain? Is everyone from the plane okay? How long will we be there for? How long will my baby girl be in the hands of her father? I had to call Shaun, he was my last resort.

A knock at the door startles me out of my thought bubble. I take a deep breathe before opening the front door and seeing Shaun in front of me, more handsome than usual, his sharp jaw is chiselled with slight stubble that makes him look more mature and his hair is still wet from showering. Maybe I can trust him with Sky. He smiles a small smile and I return one before stepping back and letting him inside.
"Thank you so much for doing this," I breathe deeply to push the words out. "I know it's last minute but-," I stumble for words.
"It's okay, I want to." I pick up the my bags and throw them over my shoulder. "What's the rush anyway? All you said on the phone was that you needed me to look after Sky for the night."
My hands begin to sweat.
"Nate was in an accident, I have to drive 3 hours away to the hospital they sent him to." A small smile plays at Shaun's mouth. A smile that makes me rethink every decision about him looking after Sky.
"Don't," is all I say to Shaun before that small smirk falls from his face.
"You know where everything is, there's milk in the fridge for feeding times and well that's about it, I should be back tomorrow hopefully, I'll let you know." He nods before opening the door for me. I give him one last look before he puts a hand on one of my shoulders.
"We're okay here, go worry about Nate," he says, disgust playing in his voice. He closes the door behind me and I head down to my car where I shove my bags in the trunk, get my phone connected and play some music that I know will help to calm my jitters for the 3 hour long drive.