t h i r t y

i sit on the phone with johnson till 11:30, by this point i'm getting ready for bed and my mind is still not off of the bizarre interaction with my dad. Johnson is willingly to listen to a two hour rant and it's nice hearing advice from someone who doesn't already know my background and everything prior to Jack.

A new slate to write on.

"The overall point is," I continue as I prep my bed for tonight, "He said he'd try, he tries for maybe two weeks, and we're back to where we started. Now im once again stuck in something i'm not sure how to get out of without hurting someone."

"Someone's going to get hurt Charlie," He says, "You just have to decide if it's going to be your boyfriend or your dad. That sucks."

I playfully roll my eyes retaking my seat at the desk. Johnson casually leans back in his chair watching me readjust myself in the camera.

"I'm sorry for talking so much. You're probably dying to hang up."

"Not dying, but i have been putting off homework."

"Sorry," I apologize again, "I guess i'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"As always," He lightly smiles, "Goodnight Charlie."

"Bye Johnson."

I hang up the call returning back to my many tabs opened all over the screen, including the imessages between Jack and I. In the midst of my call with Johnson he had sent four text messages. I search around my room for my phone before finding it on top of the pillow. I sit on the edge of the bed as I find a way to respond back to Jack's texts.

I'm reminded of the reason i'm sectioned off in my room to begin with. My great night out with Jack turned into an unethical restraining order against my boyfriend.

i read over his last message.

missed you today, wanna ride to school tomorrow? -gilinsky

Now how do i manage to say no to that? Especially because i did prefer sitting in the passengers seat examining his terrible driving while listening to his loud music. Even if it was just a quick fifteen minute drive, I wanted to drive with Jack.

Early meeting for honors program & I know u don't function before 6. -ryder

It was a lie but it was the only excuse i can think of. Honors society was doing me one good, beside looking good for colleges.

I set my phone down and begin to get comfortable in bed, I don't know how i'm going to manage to sleep with my mind running rapidly. Hopefully this weekend I can just sort things out with my dad and with Jack.

If not I can except a lot more sleepless nights.

I arrive on school ground fifteen minutes before the warning bell rings, which makes this the earliest i've been to school since it's opening. The quiet parking lot feels draining without Jack's obnoxiously loud music waking everyone up. The lights switch off around the parking lot as I exit my car leaving the natural lighting to fill the space.

As i exit my car I spot Johnson parked a few spaces across from me, he places things on the hood of his car as he continues to collect himself together.

"Hey," I call over to him.

He looks over to me with a wave, "You're early? Full tank?"

I chuckle a bit, "What's your excuse?"

"Soccer practice this morning, had to change."

I eye his school attire silently approving of it, "I wouldn't have kept you up till eleven if I knew you had practice so early."

He shrugs throwing his bag over his shoulder as we make way across the parking lot, "Please Charlie, eleven is amateur hours."

"Well if not i'm sorry than thank you for the talk."

He nods his head beginning to head up the staircase, "You should probably talk to G."

I sigh, "Eventually, yes. I just don't have the time to sit down and explain it in a way that he won't take offense to."

"It's offensive either way," Johnson shrugs, "But it's the truth none the less."

We reach the top of the steps where we surprisingly run into an unexpected Jordan. She seems as if she's been waiting here either for me or in general, she takes notice of Johnson before she does me.

"Johnson," She smiles.

"Oh hey Jordan," He greets casually walking past her, "Talk to you later Charlie, yeah?"

I wave a bye to him as he stumbles backwards before turning away from us. Jordan watches him walk away the sparkle in her eyes fading each step he takes away.

"Maybe you should actually talk to him," I suggest giving her a playful nudge.

She turns back towards me, "Not when he's so wrapped up in conversation with you."

My eyes brow sink at the backhanded statement.

"Where's Gilinsky anyways?"

"I meant to call you yesterday and give you the update," I say, "Accidentally dialed Johnson instead, so he's more up to date than anyone."

"So you two are friends now?" She questions.

I shrug, "Not really, he's friends with Jack."

"Don't you think it's weird your discussing your relationship with Gilinsky to Johnson?"

I look over to her not sure what she's getting at, "Why are you grilling me so hard?"

She shrugs, "Always gotta be the main character Charlie."

She turns on her heel before walking away from me and towards the school building. By the time we finish the conversation, or whatever that was, the rest of the school begins pouring into the parking lot.

What the hell was her issue?

My phone vibrates and I suspect it's too soon for to already be texting an apology.

Lunch later? -gilinsky

Rather that than spending it with jordan when she's sour at me.

sounds nice, see you then -ryder

*unedited*