t h i r t y f i v e

A few moments of silence pass as I glance off into the dimming sky behind me. I try to take in its final form before the sky begins to darken, without my camera I can't capture it in the moment for afterwards. Maybe this calming sunset is exactly the refreshment I needed, look at things in a new light, try to be this lighter version of myself.

Or maybe i'm just overthinking it.

"Are you finished with the tire?" I ask, I turn on my heel just as he rises from a knee.

He wipes his hands on his shorts leaving them stained, "The bolts just need to be tightened."

I glance over my shoulder again, "You think we'll be back before dark?"

He scrunches his face trying to get a glimpse of the waning sun, "Maybe, there's probably like thirty minutes of daylight left."

"I just want to avoid any other complications with my parents."

"But you're with me," He shrugs, "They're cool with me, what's to worry about?"

"Nothing," I quickly say, "It's just natural instinct at this point to not get on their bad side."

He nods his head before kneeling back on the ground to finish the tire, "I wonder why they're so resistant on Gilinsky. What do you think they think is wrong with him?"

I glance down to him offended a bit, "There's nothing wrong with him, but he's not like Sammy, or..."

"Me?" He finishes, I look down to him hoping he would correct himself, "A west reunion student? active member of the church?"

"You got to church?" I raise an eyebrow, i don't think i've ever seen this guy in a pew.

"On the holidays," He shrugs, I roll my eyes, "They probably just see through Gilinsky. I've known the man since i was fourteen and he's not all that good of a person once he's done with you."

My face screws up. Is that what this was? He's done with me so there's no need to be nice.

"With me?" I quickly ask, slightly concerned.

Realizing the carelessness of his words he quickly recovers, "With girls before you.."

He continues on realizing the uneasiness in my eyes, "But you're great Charlie, amazing. You make everybody a better person."

"I don't know..." I mumble, "I don't think I do things that a good person would."

"Is this about Sammy?"

"It's more than Sammy," I try to explain, "It's like I find a way to hurt everybody in my life all the time."

He stands up from the ground again, "Sometimes people need to get their feelings hurt."

"But what if all I do is hurt people?"

"I think it's all trial and error," He shrugs cleaning the oil of his hands poorly, "You get it right or you don't. Maybe you're just one of those girls that never get it right."

I open my mouth to respond to the backhanded comment just as Johnson takes a step forward, I instinctively take a step back but he reaches for my arms pulling me closer to him. His lips touch mine and immediately the wave of uncomfortableness washes over me.

How wrong it feels that someone is kissing me that isn't jack.

I attempt to maneuver out of his tight grasp, one hand scans the back of my body before tightening on the back of my neck forcefully pulling me closer to him again.

I breathe for air, "Stop!"

"Come on Charlie," He moans in frustration, "Get it right with me. I know this is how you like to do things."