f o r t y f o u r

There's a strange leak in the holding cells that makes an annoying and off beat droplet. In the cell Jordan lays opposite sides of me, refusing to look my way or still speak to me in the small 5x5. On the other side of the barred barrier, the three boys sit in different corners seemingly ignoring each other as well. None of us seem to be the friends that everyone would say we are, and i think how easily this could've been avoided if i never showed up.

What a mess I seem to always make.

The approaching rattling of keys makes most of us perk up. Officer Myers returns with small complementary water bottles, placing them in the middle of the worn down desk, and taking stand in front the conjoint holding cells.

"You all look like a bunch of dumbasses."

I roll my eyes at his unnecessary comments for now my mind is too jumbled to tolerate the seriousness of this situation. What are my parents going to say? What am I going to tell them? Everybody thinks I cheated on my boyfriend yet again except this time instead of cursing me in front of my entire church i get arrested?

Sounds fair enough.

"Now I hope sitting here all night gave you all time to think about why you're in here to begin with," He tells us, "Keep you business out of the peak, keep it out of the public. Work this shit out behind closed doors especially if you're gonna be hitting folks, Gilinsky-"

"Sorry..." Jack mumbles in response.

Officer Myers dismisses the poor apology, "Your parents have been contacted I will release you as they arrive. Don't let me catch you out at the peak again! especially if you're going to be making a scene."

"No worries," Jordan groans, she stretches her legs out in front of her, "We're all probably never going to be together anymore anyways."

I scoff over to her, "What is that supposed mean?"

"It means we got arrested Charlie," She says, "You and I both know we're never gonna live this one down."

I slouch back in my seat crossing my arms over my chest at the truthful response. I can't imagine the type of punishment that is to come from this.

"Georgia sounds a lot better now, huh?"

I peer through the metal bars and straight over to Jack, he sits against the wall with his legs stretch out in front of him. He appears careless to say the least but i think that's how he naturally feels about me right now.

I mutter, "There's tons of things that are better than being here."

"Wish you would've just told me, huh?"

James groans from the opposite corner of the cell, "Jack, leave it."

"No," He says, he sits up to get a better view of me. I don't leave his eyes as I sit up to glance through another gap in the bars, "What would be better now Charlie?"

I chuckle a bit, as if the answer didn't vary. This entire situation could've been better if I just opened my mouth. I feared losing Jack to the point where it was the only thing I ended up doing. Although it was the last thing on the list, it was still there.

"Or should I ask who?" My eyes dart over to his,

"Oh shut the fuck up Gilinsky," Johnson groans, he rolls on the metal bed facing away from everybody.

For once I sided with him. I'm reminded of the words he said before, "Jack is good until he's done with you", a breakup was never officially stated but this seems very close.

"G, you're fucking stupid," James mutters holding the cheap ice pack to his face, "Charlie didn't cheat on you asshole."

"She kissed Johnson! I already know what happened!"