f o u r

Jack is five minutes late.

Not long enough for it to bother me but by this time most of the kids were pouring from the school and that last thing I need was for Jack to forget that this isn't an music video and show up with his radio blaring through the parking lot. Waiting around only made my feet hurt and the weight of my bag to cramp my shoulder.

I shut my eyes once hearing the sound of Jack's car, still not in sight but the sound could only belong to one person. When he finally pulls into sight I hesitate to open the door worried what obscene music he was playing now. I silently sigh before opening the passengers door and immediately being hit with a wave of christian music.

What an asshole.

I quickly turn the knob of the radio before staring over to Jack and the smug look on his face.

"It's not violent music."

I roll my eyes settling into the car, "It's still very loud."

I reach for my seatbelt as Jack pulls away from the school. As he opens his mouth his words are cut off by his brakes slamming down to refrain from hitting the student walking directly in front of the car. My hands reach out to the dashboard as I adjust to the quick motion. I stare out the windshield along with Jack wondering if I should take the blame or let the prick know to watch out next time.

The tall fake blonde squats in front of the car looking through the tinted windshield at Jack and I. Sammy forced a tight smile awkwardly waving to us once realizing who we are.

I awkwardly wave back before he makes way to the passengers side of the car. I look over to Jack before rolling my window down allowing Sammy to lean into the window.

"You still can't drive Gilinsky," Sam poorly jokes.

Jack awkwardly laughs, "My three speeding tickets have to agree."

It was a deadend to the conversation which only made me more uneasy. Here I was sitting between the two men in my life, one I wronged in the worst way.

"Well I gotta run," Sammy quickly says, I'm glad he does considering this conversation couldn't get any more weird, "Jack. Charlotte."

My stomach flips at the formal saying of both our names, mine to be more exact. This was the first time I have seen or heard from Sammy since I admitted to sleeping with Jack, and then admitting my feelings for him. I knew it wasn't going to be the most pleasing thing to see from Sammys point of view, but I didn't expect it to be that uncomfortable.

I share a look with Jack before he pulls away from the school this time checking the streets in front of us for more passing students. I fasten my seatbelt as we hop onto the main road while shoving my bag into the back seat.

"How was school?" Jack questions disturbing the silence.

Aside from my lies to Marilyn during lunch...

"Good, you?"

"It's was good," He shrugs, "Actually James and I are going to dinner tonight.."

"Romantic," I tease.

He rolls his eyes playfully, "For a friends birthday. And i'm inviting you."

I raise an eyebrow as he looks over to me, "It's a school night."

"Jesus Christ," Jack groans turning to look back at the road, "I'll have you home before ten, sound good?"

It was hard to imagine him with people other than James considering the hell they've raised together. Who could ever match their chaotic energy?

Jack pulls alongside the curb to my house as we both stare at the driveway to see who could be home. So far just my mom, she'd just wave at Jack from the window and not start a conversation but my dad definitely felt the need to talk to Jack every time he was here. Most of the time not even talk, he'd just stare intensely till Jack succumbed to his pressure.

"I'll pick you up at seven," Jack says as I begin to take my seatbelt off, "Hopefully wearing something a bit sexier?"

I stare down at my school attire for the day before looking back over to Jack, "I don't own anything sexy."

"Then bring yourself."

I playfully roll my eyes slamming the door shut and walking up the driveway as he pulls away loudly from my house.