t h i r t y t w o

As anticipated, I was riding shotgun in Gilinskys car.

Because dinner was a complete fucking disaster, my parents didn't want to dwell on it for too long, and instead went to bed. I'm sure my mother is three melatonin deep with her white noise machine playing loudly. My father slept no problem with creating chaos in the house I assumed so I didn't worry too much on him.

Plus everything else was already so messed up that sneaking out with Gilinsky would just be another problem to scream about.

I'm used to fighting with my parents these days.

For some odd reason Gilinsky rest his car in the back of the churches parking lot, it reminded me of home which didn't help but nobody bothered the church.
I didn't really say much through text, or when i got into the car. I preferred the silence at the moment, I preferred silence with Jack.

"Are we just going to sit here in silence?"

However, he did not.

"Well what do you want to talk about?" I question.

He looks over to me, "Well it's damn near midnight, and we're sitting in the churches parking lot."

"you chose to come here."

"But why are you here?" He says, he turns in his seat giving me his full attention.

I sigh, like i've been doing lately, "My dad called me a whore at dinner today because I accused him of sleeping with his coworker."

His face screws up, "He called you that?"

I nod my head, "He's called me alot of things, but that's one new."

"Jesus, Charlie," He mumbles lowly, "You just can't seem to catch a break since we've got together."

"I think you're threatening my dads religious pride or something."

"That's not an excuse to be an asshole," He shrugs.

I agree for the most part, I can't imagine any of this going this way if I were to still be dating Sammy. I would be asleep, prepping for school tomorrow, not having screaming matches with my parents during the only time we're ever together anymore.

Maybe my dad wasn't cheating, maybe a glass of wine over files was normal for him. Or maybe i did hurt his feelings, maybe I scared him a bit at dinner now that my mom knows.

"Do you want to calm down?" Jack ask, he hold my eyes and I can't tell what they read.

I narrow my eyes to him, "We're not having sex in the churches parking lot."

"Obviously," He says, "I still have a chance to come back from hell."

I chuckle a bit at his stupid joke as he reaches across the dash by the passengers seat. His knuckles swipe over my knees as he pulls down the door, he pulls out a small tray with some sort of design on it.

"What is that?" I ask him.

He looks over to me smirking at the actually confusion on my face, "It's how were calming down."

He lifts the lid from over the tray and pulling out a half of a joint. He clearly enjoyed himself the other half already, probably was mid sesh before getting my awakening text.

"I've never done that before Jack, how would that calm me down?"

He pushes the tray back into the compartment before settling back into his seat, "I'll teach you, it's okay."

He pulls out a neon green lighter from the cup holder bringing light into the car. I watch his face change with the flickers of the flame as he put that drug in his mouth and lights the tip. The car slowly fills with smoke, and he pulls the joint away to release a cloud of smoke straight to my face.

It floods my nose and I back away in my seat trying to escape the smoke. It reminds me of the first time I seen Jack in the parking lot, the smell takes me back.

"i don't know..."

He nods his head taking another toke, "You're not being forced. I don't want to make you do what you dont want to."

I look back up to him and then his drug, maybe this was the girlfriend he was expecting. One that smoked with him casually and peacefully in the late night.

"I like watching you do it," I try to divert, I lean onto the arm rest in the middle of the car staring up to him.

He chuckles while exhaling another hit, "I gotta stop by Noelles again this weekend, it's time for another tune up."

I look at the cars hood over the dash, "She's barely making it."

"Ain't nothing better than free shit though."

I nod my head, "Ok. Well, I can go with you if you want."

The car is filling with smoke and so are my lungs. I'm sitting directly under him so I take a majority of what he exhales out.

"Of course you're coming," He says, "Noelle says she needs to touch up her roots."

I chuckle a bit followed by a small yawn leaning back into the cracked leather seat, "I'm happy i'm here with you."

"Me too Charlie."

As I watch him inhale and exhale and watch his body slowly relax itself, and his eyes slowly go lower and lower - I find myself becoming more tired. I close my eyes to the sound of his routine of hitting the joint, and i feel about thirty second into a dream before waking up.

The sky around me was light, or lightening and I can hear the birds chirping around the churches parking lot. I'm not sure if im hallucinating it being morning or I actually fell asleep till I see the man and his leaf blower scanning the parking lot for the decaying tree piles.

Oh shit.

"Jack, wake up."

I shift in my seat and looking over to Gilinsky who slept like a baby in the drivers seat.

"Jack! Wake up! it's morning."

"What?" He tiredly questions, he shifts in his seat giving himself a bit stretch before sitting up. His eyes adjust to the morning sky and he lets it register.

"Oh shit."