t h i r t y n i n e

Sunday starts just like every other sunday.

I'm up before 6:30, out of the shower before 6:45, fully clothed and well ready by 7:15. There's not much to change about this sunday except trying to find the perfect cardigan that simply didn't go with this outfit. But the shirt i'm wearing exposed much more to just shrug it off, plus church is the last place i wanted to be seen with bruises coating my biceps.

The car ride is silent and more quicker than usual, but by the sound of the engine revving that's how my dad wanted it. I think my intern outburst has put their marriage on pause.

By 8:00 we stand together as the happy family we never were, ready to fake smile in people's faces so ensure them we were. How could the bishops family ever have any problems?

Luckily because i've been so hidden at school there's no reason for people i know to whisper when they walk past me. In fact even Jordan doesn't bother to greet me, just a quick hello to my parents before helping her mom into the building. I don't think i was in the wrong with Jordan but i don't think she was either. I didn't have any reason outside of jack to speak to johnson and yet i still did, and she did have a crush on him it was obvious.

Sammy and Kami are the last up the steps and I don't bother to hide my annoyance from seeing the two.

"Good morning Mr Ryder," He greets with a smile, shaking hands with my dad firmly, "Anything i can help with today?"

My mom pitched certain requests to him as they walk in front of Kami and I. I don't doubt she's not already stirring up some rude remark about me.

"I think you wearing the wrong shade of concealer," She comments pointing out my excessive dark eye bags, and i don't bother to give her my attention, "You know a little birdy has been chirping to me lately. You may know of them."

"Kami, I really don't care."

Her voice hushes as we enter the church, the loud choir music echoes off the painted walls and windows. I take a seat in the back pews as my dad steps up into the stage still exchanging a few words with Sammy before he turns to find Kami again. She however takes a seat next to me, ultimately making him give up and sit up front leaving me to deal with the bitch herself.

"If you knew what I knew, that wouldn't be true."

"Let me guess," I whisper over to her, "I'm a whore? I'm a slut? I'm a bitch?"

She chuckles to herself, "So Johnson likes to tell me."

My breath catches in my throat as i glare over to her hoping she chooses her next words wisely. But there's this smug look on her face that says she won't, either she genuinely hates my guts to hold it over my head or she's under the wrong impression.

And I pray for her it's the second.

"Is it true?" She pushes, "I mean that's so bizarre for him to say without proof right?"

"What proof?" I sneer, "You and him are so full of shit."

"So it wasn't your honor society membership card in his car?" She questions with a smirk playing on her lips, "Gosh i knew you were easy but the best friend?"

I hold her envious eyes, "Be quiet."

"That's so cliche even for you. I mean should've just fucked Sam, would've hurt less than Johnson right?" Her low chuckle sends something up my throat.

"Shut the fuck up!"

I don't realize i've let the intrusive thought out until the entire chapel is quiet and staring at the back pew. No, not at the pew, not even at Kami who seems to be enjoying it still - but at me. There's a lump in my throat i can't swallow and it's making my eyes water, or maybe i'm crying in front of half of my town. I want to say i'm sorry for the outburst but i don't think i can even stay another few seconds with the silence and the eyes.