t w e n t y t h r e e

The wait for eight o'clock feels never ending, the time spent in my room with Marilyn and Jordan only stresses me more. A part of me is content with Jordan for keeping up with my charade, but the other part knows how disappointed she is. If anyone knows how much I've given up or ruined for my relationship with Jack, it's Jordan.

She's disappointed that I still try to keep it on the down low. I will eventually tell Marilyn, I just need more time before I was branded with a scarlet letter.

Jordan's words also echoed, I have a habit of neglecting my feeling apparently. If Jack wanted to talk then I'd gladly tell him everything he wanted to know, I'd tell him how to get around my dads attitude towards him, I'd show him that my dad does like him, and it won't be a problem. I liked Jack that much.

I stop my car on the curb of Jack's house not familiar the car parked in the driveway but noticing his dads police cruiser. It reminded me of our first time at the Peak like he mentioned, a little horseplay got the cops called on us and I thought then and there my sneaking around with Jack was outed.

I step out the car at the same time the front door opens and I freeze in confusion to see Romeo leaving the house as sneakily as he can. I walk up the driveway and he stalls in his position once seeing me as well.

"Charlie!" He cheers, he continues his journey down the driveway greeting me with a tight hug, "Please don't ask because I'm not allowed to tell, Gilinsky orders. I just hope you like italian as much as you like him."

I open my mouth unsure of what to ask or what to say since Romeo didn't plan on giving me anything. He smiles before entering the car beside Jack's dad police cruiser, I watch him pull away more confused than before. That was such an odd interaction, and It was one sided for the most part.

I finally reach the front door and look up to the corner of the porch, I take a mental note of the security camera from last time and not surprised to see it still there and working. I finally give the door a slight knock and it opens immediately, the camera gives away my arrival.

"Umm, is it weird that Romeo was sneaking out?" I question, I point back towards the empty driveway.

Jack looks annoyed at the mention of Romeo, "You seen him? Did he say anything?"

I open my mouth to question his uneasiness before he presses a hand to the small of my back and pushes me inside the house, the door slams behind me and I glance around the decorated area. I've only been inside once and it was the time I bid my byes to Jack with the idea that I was still going to start a life in georgia with my grandparents.

That feels ancient.

"Charlie," A deep voice booms, I'm surprised to see Jack's dad standing at the entrance of the kitchen. He wears only jeans and tshirt with his police academy name. He isn't in uniform, it takes me time to adjust to seeing his title stripped and his casual dad clothes on. I've certainly never met him outside of his uniform.

"I doubted ever being introduced to you, although we've had our run ins," I can hear the humor behind his statement which relieves me, my parents would never come close to his calmness.

"David, pleasure for properly meet you."

I shake his extended hand before returning to Jack's side. He awkwardly shoves his hands in his back pockets watching his dad and I.

"Let's eat. we made dinner," David exclaims.

His dad disappears into the kitchen again and I look over my shoulder to Jack, he glances down at me awaiting my reaction.

"You mentioned wanting to meet my dad," He reminds me. I try to hold back a smile of excitement, I wanted to gush and drown him in kisses, "We made italian."

My smile grows now understanding why Romeo was here, he cooked for Jack. He cooked for Jack just so I could have dinner with his dad, I want to jump him for his random act.

He grabs for my hand pulling me through the house, I follow behind him with a childlike smile as we approach the dining room table. I can't tell what the dish is but I'm eager to taste it and compliment it although it wasn't Jack's making. Jack and I take a seat at the small square table, without waiting for his dad, Jack begins to eat. It felt rude to start dinner without his dad present but I figure his family isn't the type of wait, or apparently pray.

I mumble a quick prayer to myself before beginning to enjoy the meal as well. Romeo definitely wanted to make Jack look good, I can smell just how well it's made before even biting into the savory pasta. David joins us finally and take a seat across from Jack, he smiles nervously at the two of us.

"Thank you for the meal. It taste amazing," I compliment, the two boys share a quick glare between each other.

"Don't thank me," David insists before motioning over to his son, "He's the Gordon Ramsey of the house."

I smile a bit now looking over to Jack, "I didn't know you cooked."

He pushes around the food on his plate shrugging casually, "Gordon Ramsey is a bit of an overstatement."

"Well it's great," I say, "I would love meals like this all the time."

Jack and I share a look with different meanings, he fails to realize my inside knowledge. I continue to eat my food noticing the flavored cans of beer laid out on the table in front of us.

"Are these for us?" I question, I pick up the cold can reading over the label. I've never had beer, better yet the strawberry version of it.

"I'm not saying it's okay, but I know my son and the people he's friend with so I'd rather it be done in the safety of my house," He quickly defends.

The irony behind this beer makes me giggle a bit. Jack's dad, who is an officer, giving his underage son and his clueless underage girlfriend alcohol is laughable. I don't mind of course, if anything it reminds me of Noelles father and his leniency to the two of us literally taking shots in the kitchen.

Where does one find these parents?

I begin to crack open the car as Jack stares over to me, "You sure you want one? You're a bit of a lightweight, and you're driving tonight?"

"I'll be fine," I shrug carelessly, if anything this is the type of girl Jack's friends intended me to be anyways, "I think I can handle one beer."