t w e n t y o n e

Jack stays after dinner to help with the clean up. It was my turn for dishes so my parents got ready for bed in the meantime. I just want to curl up in my bed as well, the dinner made my stomach physically churn with nervousness. The way my dad acted, even the way Jack did was very infuriating. I just wanted to be four civil people in a room conversing over whole wheat well made spaghetti. Was the too much to ask?

Jack dries his hands on a small hand towel, "I told you I should've acted like Sam."

I roll my eyes at the comment, "Stop saying that."

"Am I wrong?" He jokingly ask shrugging his shoulders, "Your dad adored that suck up like he was his own son."

"If you want to act like Sammy, be my guest," I shrugs continuing to wipe down a countertop, "But we both know how that ended."

He scoffs unamused by the truthful comment, if anyone would know it would be Jack. He throws down the cloth onto the counter and continues to watch me finish the last of my cleaning. My usual therapeutic cleaning wasn't even calming now that Jack was staring me down like a vulture.

He peers back into the clean dining room, "That was the most uneasy I ever felt and my dad walked in on me having sex once."

"Jack..." I groan closing my eye in annoyance. I recollect myself before I open my eyes and speak again making sure I know what I want to say, "If it makes you feel any better you will probably never have to do that again."

He rolls his eyes, "You dad having it out for me is only going to complicate everything else."

"Everything else was complicated before this."

"Yeah, and for the same reason it is now," He says making me turn to face him, "Your dad."

I shoot him a look while stopping my task to give him my full attention, "He's trying which still means a lot to me. It's not like you've introduced me to your dad to even pull that card."

"You've met my dad," He recalls as I look over to him trying to figure out a moment, "Your first time at the Peak."

Jesus, that feels ancient. There's been so many previous complication to get where we are now that the good things prior to this almost seemed faded. As much as I enjoyed our first time at the peak, it was still a very difficult time.

"That doesn't count," I deny, I cross my arms over my chest, "We almost got arrested, I was soaked and practically naked."

He rolls his eyes at the excuse before fumbling through his mind for another occurrence.

He perks his head up at the thought, "James house after the peak."

I stare over to him as if he would seriously consider that even close to counting. We both walked in our families awaiting our presence after being deemed missing for a few hours. he left evidence of that night on my skin, it was not one of my best moments.

after that unfortunate incident I made it very clear to Jack that he wasn't allowed to mark me. It's what got us caught in this situation begin with.

"Jack that clearly doesn't count either," I cut him off before he can shoot out another invalid answer, "How about we leave families out of this completely?"

He scoffs unamused, "Great, downgraded back to summer fling."

My eyebrows sink in frustration as I look back over to him, his casually demeanor aids in the way he casually said those words, "That's not what it is. Don't start that."

"Do you want me to give you of list of every time we didn't involve your dad?" He questions, "You were literally sneaking out to be with me Charlie, all because he couldn't know, don't say that this isn't  exactly what it is."

We both stall in our positions as I try to find a suitable thing to say or do. At this point I don't even want to be the one to speak up, Sammy never had to raise his voice at me other than when I completely broke his heart.

"I don't want to go back to that Charlie," Jack sighs.

I lean against the counter fidgeting with the jewelry on my finger, "Neither do I," I quickly reply, "But he's gonna need his time, for now."

A few moments of silence pass again before Jack hops down from the counter as if he's ready to call it a night. I am entirely too tired from today's events, spending time with Noelle worn me out, and my stomach was still deciding to accept my shot from earlier. I just want my bed rest.

"Its late," He says, I cross my arms over my chest looking anywhere else but him, "Tonight just needs to be slept on."

I sigh agreeing to agree while he pulls his keys from his back pocket. I navigate us to the front door and opening it letting the cool transition weather fill the living room.

I follow him out the front door, "Is it safe to drive?"

He nods his head pressing the unlock button on his keychain, "I'll be good."

"But will you be safe Jack?"

He begins to walk down the driveway, "Yes Charlotte."

It's the second time this week Jack and I left things like this, it only makes me feel terrible. I didn't want to slander my dad for his childish behavior but I also want Jack to understand that my dad is still adjusting to everything, especially because everything happened so fast. I'm pretty sure every time my dad hears his name or see his face he's instantly reminded of how we came about.

But that's a talk for my dad privately. I need to address a few thing with him, one to level him about his stupid intimidation tactics on my boyfriend. And two for his stupid intern drinking wine in our house alone with him.

I perk up at the reminder of wine in the kitchen. Once glass before bed wouldn't hurt anyone, if anything it'll help put me to sleep faster.

Hopefully rid me of the mess tonight was too.