Chapter 8

"When I was young, my father sealed a demon inside of me to make me stronger, but the operation went terribly wrong and I attacked him," he says quietly. I see a tear fall from his face, "I didn't mean to kill him... I was too young to control the beast..."

"Ever since then I was cursed with this beast and... I have been working on controlling him," he says, "the Hokage should know."

I nod, "oh, I get it."

"Sometimes he talks to me," he says quietly.

I get on my knees next to him, "what's his name?"

"Beast," Hayate says, "his name is literally Beast."

"Is there a seal?" I ask.

He nods and lifts his shirt a bit. He does a handsign and a circular seal appears in bright red before turning black and disappearing. He lets his shirt drop a bit and sighs.

"Come on let's go," he says emotionlessly, "we have a mission."

I frown, "uh right."

I stand up and help him stand. We pack up all of our things and go.

When we leave the forest we have a clear view of the sunrise.

"Let's stop and eat breakfast," I suggest.

Hayate nods, "sure."

We sit by a small pond and watch the sunrise. We pull out our canteens (since you can't drink still water) and get some granola.

"Mmm, is this homemade?" Hayate asks holding up a granola bar.

I nod, "Kakashi made them."

"I'll have to tell him how delicious these are," he says quietly.

I smile, "yeah."

"You know," Hayate starts, "you've been so kind to me."

"Huh?" I ask, "what do you mean?"

He shrugs, "it's just... I don't know, no one has ever been this nice to me."

I blush and look away slightly, "if you're trying to-"

"No it's not like that," he says quietly, "I meant you're acting like a sister to me."

I smile, "oh! Well in that case you can be my brother!"

He chuckles, and takes another bite of his granola bar. I finish my own and drink a generous amount of water.

"Let's go over some plans while we're sitting here," Hayate suggests.

I nod, "don't you have a map?"

He nods and opens up his backpack, pulling out a few scrolls and papers. He opens up a map first and sets it between us.

He points to an area, "we are here, and about another days worth of travel should get us to the hideout."

I nod, "will any traps be set?"

"Not likely," he says, "but if there are, I will be able to sense them."

I nod, "oh good, what else is there?"

"I don't believe we should encounter anyone else," he says, "but we still have to stay on our toes of course."

I nod, "yeah, what are the scrolls we have to get?"

"They're top secret," Hayate says, "so I don't know."

"Ah, okay," I say looking back at the map.

Hayate starts repacking, "come on, I'm really looking forward to going home. I think she poisoned me."

I stare at him, "what? Why didn't you say anything?"