Chapter 13

Sariah:

After making our way out of the hallway of cells, somehow or another I managed to get Max up to the pillars. Right now I wish Dexter was here to get Max out of here. Mentioning Dexter, I wonder what he's doing now.

I shake my head a grab Max before jumping to the next pillar. I got to the next one, but very awkwardly.

Giving up on this, I listen for any signs of the lizard guards before I jump down. It was deadly quiet. Weird, wasn't there a silent alarm going off before? It wouldn't be turned off unless Dexter had reached it, or if they think the threat is gone. Whatever it was meant that it would be easier to escape now.

I turn to Max and wrap my arms around him. "Everything is going to be okay, just trust me." I whispered in his ear before sinking my teeth into Max's neck. He gasps, then goes limp.

Throwing him over my shoulder, I hop down and landed safely on the ground. There was still no sign of guards, so I walked down the hall with ease, but I was still cautious.

Surprisingly, I walked right out the front door without even a single guard showing up. Something was very wrong. It had to be. All I know is that something happened and I don't know what....

As I'm walking along with Max over my shoulder, he begins to stir. He should be knocked out for at least a couple more hours, why is he starting to wake up now?

Max suddenly slips from my grasp and lands hunched over. When he raised his head... it wasn't Max anymore.

---

Dexter:

"Strap him down! We need to make sure he is restrained to take him to his Judgement!" Darius shouted as the lizard guards tied me to a metal slab.

It didn't really matter if they did or not, I was in no shape to fight anymore. My blood was even seeping through the ropes.

"Hurry! We don't want to be late now!"

I winced as pulled the ropes tighter across my open wounds. "Darius, what has happened to you? Why did you take Max?"

He smirked at me, baring his pointed teeth. "Simple, Dexter, I saw the perfect opportunity and I just couldn't pass it up. I mean, you did basically just give him to me when you decided to loosen the seal on his powers. Then you thought that you were enough alone to protect him, it was the perfect setup."

"You piece of shit! I thought you were on my side-" I was cut off by a rag being shoved in my mouth.

Darius approached me with a confident stride. "And you were so stupid to think that. We might have spent some time as friends, but that is the past now. The beginning of the new world is underway!" He leaned in and grabbed my chin. "I once thought of you as my hero, you know... before you became the bitch you are now." He slapped me across the face. "Guards! This way!" Darius shouted as he spun around and continued walking down the long white hallway to an open room.

"Ah, if it isn't the notorious Dexter, what rarity it is to see you here." The crackling voice of an old lizard demon echoed.

I looked frantically around the room until my eyes rested on the balcony where the Lizard King stood. His mighty wings were brought up, indicating he had just landed. Two more, slightly bigger, lizards landed on either side of him.

"Darius, good work weasel, now leave." The king ordered.

Darius bowed deeply before making his way back down the white hall.

"Guards, take Dexter to his Judgement!"

The guards grabbed either side of me and began to drag me to the large doors below the balcony where the Lizard King stood.

I started to struggle to get out of the ropes. Even if I died now, it would be better then what awaited me on the other side of those doors.

My vision began to blur. I was losing too much blood. All I could hear was a distant pounding. What was it? I couldn't even move my head to look.

As I faded out of consciousness, I felt the ropes around me bust and then I was lifted into the air. All I could do was stare at the ceiling. It made me feel at peace somehow. As if I was soaring through the sky. Maybe in the afterlife I could fly.