Chapter 15

Max:

It's been a few days since that night now. Madre has finally gone back home because of work issues, and Mom is back to working long hours. On top of all of that I got a doctor's note saying that I got to stay home from school for a week, and after that school is out for winter break. With all of this free time on my hands I go to the hospital everyday to hang out with Dexter. Even though he hasn't woken up from the surgery, staying with Dexter was way better than staying at home all alone.

Everyday I walk down to the city bus stop and catch the afternoon bus that stops in town. From there I go to a bakery called 'Honey's Bakery' and get a half a loaf of warm French bread and a couple of pastries. When I walk in I am always greeted by the delicious smells and the kind elderly lady that owns the store.

Sometime I would sit and talk to her over a cup of coffee if it wasn't busy. Today seemed busier than normal so I paid for my goods and headed for the hospital. The walk from the bakery wasn't too long so I made it with everything still being warm.

Staying out of everyone's way, I'd quietly make my way to Dexter's room without anyone really acknowledging my presence. The only one who knew I was there was the reception lady that smiled at me as I past her desk.

I knock on the door to Dexter's room. The only sound that came from the room was the beeping of machines. I sigh heavily before pushing the door open. "Hey, buddy, I'm back." I say with a smile, just incase he was awake.

I shuffle across the room and sit down on the couch next to his bed. His eyes were still closed and he hadn't moved an inch since the last time I saw him. "See, I'm here, just like I said I'd be. And look, I even got an extra pastry." I basically say to myself.

I knew he couldn't answer but it felt as though he could at least hear me. My eyes begin to water at the thought of losing him. "Heh, look at me. I'm such a pansy, crying over a stupid thought."

Wiping away my tears, I stood before Dexter's lifeless body. I grabbed his hand and was shocked at how cold he was, quickly pulling my hand back. Wait that wasn't coldness I felt... it was an actual shock. I grabbed his hand again and felt the same shock as before. "Max!"

I jumped back instantly as I heard Dexter's voice in my head. "Dexter?"

There was only silence. I slowly reached out to touch his hand again. "Yes Max, it's me." His voice rang in my head.

"But how am I hearing you?" I asked still doubting that it was really Dexter I was hearing.

His laugh echoed in my head. "You're so naive. It's a demon thing, Max."

"Oh, okay." I thought for a second. "So why are you still in a coma?"

"These stupid machines are restraining me... would you be so kind as to unplug them?"

"But Dexter I thought they were supposed to be keeping you alive." I protested.

He sighed. "Come on. Think Max. I'm a demon. These are human machines. Plus, do you really think I want to die like this?"

"I guess not."

"Okay now that you're done guessing, unplug the stupid machines!" Dexter yelled loudly in my head.

"Okay, okay. Now let's see where these are plugged in...." I mumble to myself as I follow the cords. They were all plugged into a surge block on the wall with a switch on the top. I flipped it off and the room instantly went dead silent.

I stood up and took a shaky breath before turning to Dexter. He was sitting up and smirking at me. I couldn't believe it. "Dexter!" I exclaim while wrapping my arms around him. "It worked, you're awake!"

He laughed at me. "Well duh. I am a demon after all, those stupid human machines suck. When I said get help I meant to get Madre, sorry I wasn't clear enough. Good thing the reaper didn't get me while I was sleeping."

I hug him tighter, trying to hold back my tears. I had thought he was never going to wake up, but here he is awake and cracking half-assed jokes. "Idiot... I thought you were as good as dead." I whispered into his shoulder.

Dexter's arms hesitantly wrap around me. "I'm sorry for making you worry about me so much. I really didn't mean too." He moved his hands to my shoulders and pulled me off of him. "There will be time for scolding me later, but right now we need to get back to your house so that we can prepare for what's coming."