Chapter 21

Dexter:

The waves of Lizard Guards were seemingly endless, we would kill one and a whole new group would appear. At this rate the rest of us would be completely overwhelmed in no time. "Where's Max and Spion?!" I asked in frustration, it has been too long since I've seen either of their faces.

"Max fell back a while ago, even before the surprise attack, and that was when we lost sight of Spion!" One of the backups answered as he swung his sword and chopped of the limbs of the Lizard's in front of him. "I fear for the worst, sir."

I curse myself for not noticing sooner. I was just so focused on getting to the king that I tuned out everyone around me. "If I can close off the hatch, do you think the three of you can take care of the rest of these lizard's?"

The same one answered me. "Of course we can!"

"Then I'm counting on you!" I called out. I take a step back to get some space to change into my werewolf form, then I began to hop over the mass of Lizard's. Bashing a few heads,I made my way to the wall of the gate that would close off the tunnel the Lizard's were coming from. The wall was held up by a rope pulley system, easy enough. Lashing out left and right I managed to fight off just enough of the Lizard Guards to reach the main rope. My claws barely scratched it before I was yanked back. I swung and clawed and bit until I was able to try again. This time I was successful in reaching it, but I still only got halfway through before I was pulled back.

My patience was starting to wear thin. I grabbed the snout of the closes lizard and cut of it's head, using this as a weapon, I swung it in a circle. I knocked back a good number of their forces and also gave me the time I needed to cut the rest of the ropes with the distraction.

The heavy wall slid down fairly quickly. It would've been easy for the Lizard's to avoid it in normal circumstances, but since there were so many other bodies in the way many of the Lizards were crushed. A few of them on the very bottom of the pile weren't as lucky as the ones on top of them as they were still alive. I decided to be merciful to them and give them a quick death, mostly because I didn't like the sound of their pitiful cries for help from their colleges that were oblivious to what had happened. There weren't many so my job was over momentarily. I began to slay some of the remaining wave of Lizards as I ran over them. I nodded briefly to the three backups as I pass them on my way back down the hall to find Spion, and Max.

Once I was far enough away from the blood scene, I slipped into my wolf form to pick up the pace. Along the way I passed several bodies of the Lizards we had already slain. The body count slowly began to decrease as I made my way even further back. I should be getting close, it's not like they could have fallen that far behind... right? I was starting to get a little worried when the bodies only showed one at a time as I raced by.

I skidded to a halt as a dark presence filled the air around me. It was so thick that I found it hard to breathe correctly. What is that? I began to panic, but I still continued forward. I needed to get to Max.

Not too much farther along I start to see an outline of something ahead... it must be Max! As I get closer I see that it was Max, and someone else was with him. I go to attack the stranger, but I was stopped by an overwhelming dark power. I dropped to the ground as a wave of the darkness pinned me down. I move my head enough to look at Max... He was standing still like he had been stunned, with his head tilted back towards the ceiling. I look to my right to see the other person was using my human form and currently on the ground as well.

The pressure started to lift and I instantly lunged at the imposter. It caught me by the throat only inches from it's face. I struggled against its grip, snapping my jaws viciously at it. The imposter slowly lifted it's head to look at me. It's eyes were gone... It looked as though they were burned with its skin chard and cracking. It opened it's mouth. "I... was wrong... need to hide... the boy... too dangerous." It croaked. "The Raven... is coming."

"What raven?" I asked frantically, but I was too late it had already went limp.

The demon's words troubled me. I look back to Max. His white skin had began to crack, much like the imposter's skin had, with shadows licking out through the new found opening. His hair had changed from light brown to pure black, along with his eyes. His clothes were also burning with black flames that seemed to not do any real damage, but in truth could kill someone almost instantly.

I was horrified by this, it meant that Max's seal was loosened too much and he lost control. The only thing that could be done now would be to exhaust his power that had leaked out. I shift to half my werewolf form and half my wolf form so that I could hit him and it actually do something. I stood before Max, towering over him. "I'm sorry Max... I'm sorry that I broke my promise, I hope you will forgive me." He stared at me in response. I could see nothing but darkness swimming in his eyes. Yet he was crying....