Chapter 14

Max:

It all felt like a dream. I can't say I even remembered anything. All I could see was darkness. But now, here I was. With a severely injured Dexter, and a dazed Sariah. I look down at my hands and see blood. I know it's not my blood, somehow, yet I'm covered in it. I feel it trickling down my face and soaked in my clothes.

"Sariah... what happened?" I strained to say.

She stared at me with a blank face. "I... don't know."

I turned to Dexter, but he was in no condition to talk at this point. "Sariah we need to get help, Dexter looks like he might die any second now." I shook her should to try and get her out of her daze. "Sariah!"

I was starting to panic now. I looked around wildly but only saw abandoned houses and roads leading to dead ends. Where were we? "Sariah, where are we? Come on snap out of it!" I shook her harder, but she still didn't respond. "Sariah!"

I could feel myself begin to cry. "Sariah! We need to get help!" I yelled at her.

She jumped as if I startled her. "Max?" Her eyes went wide and she struggled to get away from me. She cried agony, stopping to grab her leg.

"Sariah, calm down." I say softly. My attention switched to Dexter when he started to move. I gently hold him down. "No, don't move, you're hurt. Dexter do you know where we are?"

The look of pain crossed over his face as he looked around. "It looks like we're in the abandoned suburbs at the edge of town. Max... I don't think I can move, please get help." He strained to say. I nodded my head and scrambled to my feet. "Okay, I'll be right back, don't move!" I shout out as I raced away. The closest place I had found was a pizza shop. I burst through the door and made a few people jump. "Hello, welcome to-Oh my God!" One of them yelled as they came up to the counter.

"Please... help... me... nine... one one." I pleaded in between trying to catch my breath. I drop to my hands and knees, gasping for air.

By now there was a big commotion behind the counter. One of the employees had made their way over to me. "Where is all this blood from? Are you hurt?"

I shook my head. "No... need... help... at abandoned... suburbs."

I started to cough vigorously. I grabbed my throat as it began to hurt. I couldn't breath at all. I fall on my side as I try to breath. My lungs were beginning to burn and my vision was blurring. "What's happening?!" I heard someone shout before I lost consciousness.

---

I wake up to a white ceiling. I look over to my right to see my Mom asleep halfway on the bed I was laying on. What is she doing here? I sit up and get a splitting headache. But now that I get a better look of the room I realize that I'm in a hospital. Realization hits me as I remembered what had happened last night. Well at least as much as I knew.

"Max, you're awake?" I looked over at Mom as she picked up her head. Her hair was a little messy and her makeup was smeared where it looked as though she was crying. She smiled sleepily at me. "I so glad you're awake sweetie."

I wrap my arms around her as she starts to cry. "I'm sorry Mom, I didn't mean to worry you."

She let go of me and stroked my cheek. Her expression quickly changed to a furious glare. "What kind of trouble did you get yourself into!? You are so grounded when you get home." Her eyes lightened again. "I don't like to see my baby hurt."

The door opened and someone walked in. I looked up from my Mom to see Madre standing in the doorway. Her face was red from crying and there was fresh tears threatening to fall. She rushed over to me and quickly, yet very gently, hugged me. I let go of Mom and wiggle out of Madre's grip so I could sit back. Both Mom and Madre had tears running down their cheeks. "Don't you two have to work today? I feel fine, so you can go, I don't mind." I say with a smile.

After a few more minutes of arguing with them, Mom and Madre left for work. I was finally left alone to sleep off this terrible migraine.

I only stayed at the hospital until Mom got off of work. Before I left the hospital though, I had found out that Dexter was in ICU with serious injuries, but by time I saw him they had stitched up all his deep cuts and had him stabilize. I didn't see Sariah, but one of the nurses told me she went home with only a broken leg. The break was shallow so she would be off crutches in a few months or so. I'm just glad none of us died. When Mom did take me home she confined me to the couch and told me not to go upstairs for fear of hurting myself. I had flipped through the tv channels about a hundred times not finding anything good on. Not knowing where my phone had gone since that night, I just laid on the couch and made shapes out of the bumps on the ceiling.

But what happened?