Fever ✨ Carol Danvers

A/n: tagging captainnordic bc I thought you'd like it ;)
Aka: Fever: The Three Times Your Best Friend Thinks You're Sick and the One Time You Fix That Inaccurate Preconception

—————

Lately, you had been nervous. Something was off, and no one could figure it out, not even your best friend, Carol.

Part of that was because it actually had to do with the best friend in question. Over time, you had developed a crush on her. You knew she was a lesbian as well, but you also knew she wanted a strong, intelligent, gorgeous woman—qualities that, in your mind, you lacked.

As time grew on, you tried to stop crushing on her, but it's not like one can control who they fall in love with. So, you distanced yourself.

——————

"Hey, (y/n)," Carol says as she walks into your room where you're watching tv. She plops down on your bed and grabs some popcorn from you.

"Hey!" You yell, slapping her hand lightly. "That's mine!"

She winks and grabs some more, causing you to blush. "Says who?"

You roll your eyes, glad she doesn't pick up on the redness in your cheeks. You place the popcorn as far away as possible for it to be out of Carol's reach and where you can still get it. "Says me."

The friend in question just smirks at your quirked eyebrow and crossed arms. In a flash, she is rolling over you, pinning you to the bed under her weight as she grabs the popcorn back.

Your face grows even redder, something that one wouldn't think physically possible up to that point. You push Carol off you in a gust of strength, getting up and going to the bathroom, where you splash water on your face until the redness goes down. Come on, (y/n), she's your best friend. Don't mess this up.

A knock startles you in the middle of your mental rant. "Yes?" You ask.

"You okay?" Carol's concerned voice comes through the door. "Are you sick?"

Only sick in love, you think, but reply, "Nah, I'm fine. I'll be out in a second."

"Okay," she responds, suspicion evident in her voice, but she goes back to sit down. You are out there soon as well, keeping to your side of the bed and placing the popcorn in the middle of you as a barrier.

—————

You sit on the couch, reading a magazine. Said magazine is thrust out of your sight as a large heap lands on you. Startled, you stare down into Carol's face as she laughs, brushing bits of hair out of her mouth and off her face.

Your heart melts as you watch her, happiness welling up inside you—until you remember. She's not mine, and never will be. Your face hardens and you turn back to the magazine disinterestedly, ignoring your best friend.

"Hey, (y/n), what's wrong?" She asks, knocking the magazine out of the way again. Not that you were paying attention to it in the first place.

When you don't say anything, biting your tongue to keep from saying anything you'd regret, she opens it to the page you were on in a second. "Whatcha readin'?"