Part Thirty Six

Robbie

Saying goodbye is always really hard for me normally, so knowing that I actually have to do it to my boyfriend, especially when I don't know the next time we'll see each other, is heartbreaking. We'd got back from Greece a day ago, and now we're back at Gatwick airport walking through the departures terminal with Noah. Mum, Dad and Becca are here, and that's the reason why Noah and I are finally holding hands together in public as we near his check in desk.

I'd nearly started crying in the car on the way here, but I'd somehow kept myself together. But watching Noah in the queue at the desk and baggage drop off was only helping to solidify the harsh fact that he's leaving. He weaves his way back out of the queue, his passport and newly printed boarding pass in hand, and comes to a stop in front of my family. I'm not sure if anyone's gonna say something, and I'm tempted to but my mum and dad both step forward, wrapping Noah in a hug.

'We've loved having you Noah. You're more than welcome to come visit us any time.'

'Thanks so much for having me, both of you. I think it's only fair though that I have to host you guys next time though.'

'Oh, we've always wanted to go to America! We'll have to organise something soon, when neither of you two celebrities are busy.'

Noah looks over at me, and I roll my eyes mockingly at what my mum has said, which only makes her and dad smile more. They pull out of the hug with Noah, and Becca launches herself at him.

'Thank you for all the selfies Noah! We're gonna have to video call at some point, cause some of my friends still don't believe that I've met you--'

Noah gives her a pat on the head, laughing as they pull out of the hug.

'We'll sort that out at some point Becca. Promise.'

She beams brightly at him, before retreating back towards my parents. I'm suddenly very aware of what I'm doing, and although my family have made a bit of space for Noah and I, I really have no idea what I want to say or do. I look at him, a couple metres in front of me, and his perfect eyes stare back.

I can't take it anymore. I sprint at him, and he does the same, and we both collide into each other's arms and my tears are in full flow now, as are Noah's. We hold each other tightly, knowing that when we let go, that it's for however long it may be. He clutches on to me, and I squeeze him as hard as I dare without hurting him. His chin is rested on the top of my head again, one of the many things which he does which I love, and I can hear him struggling to control his breathing between the sobs, much like I am right now.

We eventually, begrudgingly, pull apart, but our hands remain together, as he wipes his eyes on his shoulder. My glasses have misted up a bit, but I can still see him, and I don't care if I look ridiculous, cause he's never going to look at me that way. He grins, softly squeezing my hands in his.

'God you're a mess.'

'A hot mess. Like you.'

We both grin, sharing a strangled chuckle with one another. I can feel my parents eyes on us, but I know that they won't rush us. I suddenly remember something important, and remove my hands from his, flinging the rucksack off my back and unzipping it. Noah watches curiously as I rummage around in my bag, before I find what I'm looking for and excitedly pull it out and present it to him.

'This is for you. So that even if I'm not there, you can still be close to me.'

In my outstretched hand is one of my favourite hoodies tightly folded up (and I hadn't washed it either to make sure that it still smelt like me), a pastel tie dye one which I wore on the evening after the wedding in Greece, when we spent the night sitting together looking up at the stars back in the villa. Noah shakily takes it, tears welling up in his eyes again.

'This-- This is quite funny.'

He takes off his own rucksack, and rummages around in it, pulling out a similarly sized folded item. It's the light blue hoodie he was wearing on the same night, and I had told him I loved how soft it was. And now it's folded up in his outstretched hand facing me. I feel more tears starting to fall down my cheeks as I gently take it from his hand, and look at him with a quivering lip. We both fall into each other's arms again, properly sobbing.

'I'll... I'll make sure-- to call you all the time... But if you're busy-- then please don't worry--'

'I'll always make time to call you... dumbass.'

We share a soft laugh, and I give him one final squeeze cause I know as much as it's going to hurt, we need to do this sooner or later, before we pull apart. He looks at my hoodie in his hand with a smile on his tear stained face, before placing it carefully in his rucksack and swinging it onto his back.

'I-- I love you.'

'I love you too. Oh, and don't forget to send me the pics Becca took.'

I nod slowly, as a soft gasp escapes my lips, and I see him hesitate, but we both know we can't delay the inevitable. He gives me a smile, offers a small wave to my parents, before turning around and walking towards the escalators heading up to security. He steps onto the stairs, and turns round to look at us as he's slowly, painfully, lifted up and away from me. He disappears behind a wall, and that's it.

I turn back to face my family, Noah's hoodie tightly grasped in my hand. We all embrace in a hug, and no one says a word. Love has this effect on everyone. After a moment's silence, we make our way back to the escalators that'll take us down to the car park.

We pile into our car, Becca sitting next to me in the back, but surprisingly not saying anything. The car pulls out of its parking space as I fumble with my phone in my pocket, and I eventually manage to get it out. I select the pictures from my camera roll from that amazing night only a few days ago, and open up Noah's contact on my phone.

I'm sending all the ones Becca took, but my favourite is the last one. We're perfectly silhouetted against the fairy lights which have blended seamlessly into the background as a soft wall of light, and our lips are on one another, and although you can't see our faces in the light, you can tell from the way our heads are tilted that that's a true kiss of love. I wipe a tear from my eye as all the photos attach, and I type out a small message to go along with it.

Robbie: Here you are. Have a safe flight back, and thanks for being the best thing in my life. What Ed Sheeran said was kinda true you know. We keep this love in a photograph. Love you x

Attachment: 15 Images

I drop my phone to my lap, and give Noah's hoodie in my hands another squeeze. I lift it up to my face, burying it into it and inhale softly. The butterflies go through my stomach immediately. It still smells like him. I place it back on my lap, just as my phone buzzes again. I almost don't want to open the message, cause I know I'm close to crying again, but I relent and tap on it. I scan through his message and the smile on my tear stained face grows.

Noah 💜: thanks so much! You bet your ass this is gonna be my new lockscreen. Thank you for the amazing time meeting your family. And please don't worry, you KNOW that we'll see each other soon. I love you so much x. You know what you have to do:

My phone buzzes again as the rest of his message comes through.

Noah 💜: Wait for me to come home x

The tears start falling again down my face, and I wipe my sleeve across my eyes, choosing to focus on the passing scenery as we made our way back home. He knows I'll wait for him. And I know that he'll wait for me too.