Part Twenty Six

Robbie

There's something amazing about waking up super early in the morning to travel. Everything outside is the same, but it all seems really otherworldly. Like you're the last person on earth, travelling the empty streets. You know, except for the other early risers you see going about their business too, and you end up having that shared look with each other and the unspoken question "what are you doing up at this time" flickers between both of you. But you never say anything, and carry on your way.

When I came to America, I didn't exactly have any emotional attachments to the country. But now it's almost like when I said goodbye to my parents at Gatwick airport when I left to start the tour all those months ago. I'm trying my hardest not to cry or get emotional but it always manages to catch me off guard. I'm brushing my teeth in the bathroom, trying not to make too much noise. Noah's parents are both up and waiting downstairs to help see me off, but when I left Noah's side in his bedroom, he was out for the count, and I know he likes his sleep.

We technically got to say our goodbyes to each other last night, but I still feel really bad to be leaving whilst he's asleep. Well, that's what you get when you fly at three am. I bend over to spit out some of my used toothpaste and as I lean back to look in the mirror, I'm greeted with a shirtless, spiky haired, and almost certainly sleep deprived Noah. I yelp and leap back in surprise, hitting the wall, and he laughs at my reaction.

'Jesus Christ. You scared the shit out of me.'

'Then it was totally worth waking up this early.'

I manage to steady myself after hitting the wall, and Noah's already got me wrapped in a hug. He sniffles a little bit, and I realise I'm not the only one close to tears.

'I can't believe that you're leaving.'

'I can't believe it either. It feels like I only just got here...'

We pull out of the hug and he yawns, stretching his arms above his head before ruffling the brown spikes his hair is currently stuck in. Every little thing he does has it's own unique quirk, and I love it.

We look at each other again, and the emotions that have been building up inside my head which I'd been controlling well so far begin to boil over. I feel my lip begin to quiver, as my eyesight begins to mist. I somehow find myself already in Noah's arms, sobbing softly into his shoulder. He squeezes me tightly, and I'm hoping if I hold on in this moment, it won't feel like I'm losing a part of me when we eventually pull out of our embrace.

'You've made me feel at home on tour, and basically had me as part of your family... but -- I... I need to go home.'

Noah's chin rests on top of my head, and I feel it move up and down in a nodding motion. He knows. They all know. But I hope him and the rest of his family know how much it meant to have their support and time in a country I'd never thought I'd end up visiting, yet alone touring. I pull out of the hug slightly, wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie.

Noah looks down at me, and I close my eyes as he places a gentle kiss on my forehead.

'I'll call you every day.'

'You don't have to. You have your own life, and the new season is coming out soon so I know you'll be busy, and I--'

'Robbie. I'll make time for you. I'll always make time for you.'

My voice cracks slightly, as some fresh tears fall silently down my cheeks.

'I know.'

I've practically flung myself at him, and he staggers back slightly in the enclosed space, but our grip on one another remains firm. We're both absolute messes (even though I know he looks better half asleep than I do, awake and fully clothed next to him), but it's a lovely shared moment. This is what it's like to have a person understand you so intimately, and they bring out the best, most genuine parts of you. That's why I don't mind crying so much around him. Just knowing that he's not going to be there physically to add something extra to my day is tearing me apart. Just like being away from my family. At least I know I'll be seeing them in a few weeks, unlike Noah.