Part Five

Noah

Millie's surprise did the trick for me, and we'd blasted through the rest of the shoot for today. We even finished a little earlier than we were scheduled to, which just meant more time for us to get out of costume and back into our regular clothes.

Now Millie and I were back in one of the local houses that were being rented out to the cast and crew for the duration of the shoot. She'd finished showering and was up in her room next door to mine, probably doing the hundreds of things she'd need to do to get ready for tonight. I'm in bed, shirt off as per usual, scrolling through the endless void that is my for you page on Tik Tok.

Every now and again I'm getting a notification or two on Instagram, most of them presumably from fan accounts. I'm zoning in and out as I watch some teenager doing the latest complicated dance on Tik Tok, but then my phone buzzes with a message on Instagram.

I don't register it at first, assuming again that it's probably one of the numerous messages from fans. I'm not complaining, it's insane the amount of love and support these guys have for me, but I can't possibly get back to all of them with the sheer amount of stuff I get bombarded with. I still try though, knowing that a small act such as liking a comment can make their day. My eyes shift up to the top of my screen as the Instagram notification goes away, but I catch the end of it. It's from Robbie. He's responded.

I flick open Instagram, keen to see what he's said.

robbie.mp3: hey, no worries at all, i'll see what I can do 🙂

A weight lifts off of my chest. He hasn't said no so that's great, and he seems like a genuine kinda guy so I'm hoping he plays 'Photograph' tonight. Out of curiosity I tap on his profile link and I'm taken straight to a story post from a couple hours ago. It's just a video from the inside of the Tabernacle, as it's tagged in the corner of the post, showing the empty venue. It's pretty cool seeing the place empty before everything kicks off.

I tap along to the only other post on his story, which is a repost from an account called QuinnsPhotos. It's a picture of Robbie laid out on his side across the empty stage, winking seductively at the camera. I smile as I look at it. It's nice to see that he doesn't take himself too seriously when everyone in his industry are way too serious sometimes. I tap on the link to Quinn's profile and I'm taken to a very professional and aesthetically pleasing layout on his Instagram account. He's a pretty good photographer, and he's got about seven thousand followers to show for it.  I look at some of his more recent posts, noticing there's quite a few of Robbie.

There's one from a week ago, tagged in Oklahoma, it's well edited so that the colour pops a little bit more from it. It's a nice mid shot of Robbie, eyes shut and obviously hitting a high note into his mic as his hand hits his guitar. I stare at it a bit longer, before scrolling through the few other photos in the post. I can see and almost feel the raw energy radiating off of Robbie in each one. It's obvious he gives it his all, and he must love what he does. A little shiver runs down my back. I hope he's gonna be like this tonight.

I check out Quinn's most recent post, one which went up around 2 hours ago. It's a simple black and white one, and it is honestly quite cool. It's of Robbie, standing outside the front of the Tabernacle. His back is to the camera, and he's staring up at the sign with his name emblazoned across it. Pretty meta, but I love it. I continue to stare at the boy in the picture and I find myself thinking about what he'd be like to talk to. I can't help but feel like there's something more to him under this sort of chill and happy exterior that's all over his account. I double tap the photo, giving it a like, and probably giving Quinn a whole bunch of new followers in the process.

I close Instagram down and roll onto my side, opening Tik Tok again. I've got a couple hours to kill, and this is the best way I can think of spending it.

Robbie

I'm half asleep under the lumpy covers of the hotel bed, vaguely aware of the sound of keyboard keys clacking as Quinn edits his latest photos on his Macbook. Although I may not have been able to catch up on much sleep, I'm more than grateful to just be lying down in bed. The clacking of keys stops, and I'm acutely aware of it.

'Woah.'

I open my eyes and roll over in the bed to look at Quinn, whose sat in a chair in the corner of the room facing my bed. He's staring at his phone, with the same sort of expression I had when Noah messaged me earlier.

'hnnngh?' I mutter, my brain still asleep enough to only form grunts instead of speech.

Quinn looks up from his phone and looks at me in disbelief.

'Dude. Noah freaking Schnapp just liked my most recent post.'

The mention of Noah's name wakes me up. I shoot up into a sitting position in the bed, sharing a similar look of disbelief with Quinn.

'Are... are you serious?!'

Quinn just nods, holding his phone out towards me. I get out of bed and scoot across the covers and pick up the phone. There it is, in his Instagram notifications.

noahschnapp liked your photo

I hand his phone back, and we both kinda just sit in silence.

'Dude, this is so cool. This is the attention you deserve, your photography is amazing.'

Quinn smiles at the compliment, turning his attention back to his phone.

'This is insane. I'm getting a bunch more likes on this post, and I've got a few new followers too.'

'Which post is it?'

'This one.'

Quinn turns his phone around to me again, and it's the picture I knew he'd taken of me outside the Tabernacle. I wasn't expecting him to have posted it so soon. But then something registers inside me. Noah Schnapp liked a picture of me. That's something else I'm going to have to add to the list of things I thought wouldn't happen since I started my career.

'I wonder how he found my account?'

My attention is back to Quinn, and I sheepishly look away from him. He notices and pauses.

'Do you know something I don't?'

'Well... Noah messaged me earlier today. He's coming to the gig tonight, and he requested a song.'

'No fucking way.'

I nod, grinning a little bit with embarrassment. Quinn is visibly excited, jumping up from his chair.

'Dude! This is amazing! You've got a celebrity fan!'

'I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. He just requested a song, that's all.'

'Yeah, and then he went and looked for a picture of you on my photography account. Robbie. This is unreal.'

I roll back onto the bed, staring at the ceiling.

'Everything's getting crazier and crazier, and I don't know how I feel about it.'

'My advice would be to just enjoy it. Stuff like this would've never normally happened to us, so just embrace it.'

I stay silent, focusing on the off white tones of the ceiling above me. Quinn is back in his seat, and starting to continue work on his laptop. He stops typing briefly.

'I know you hate people asking, but are you... nervous now about the gig? With the whole Noah thing?'

I consider that, shutting my eyes and listening to my breathing.

'I mean. I'm always nervous before a gig. Sure, there's a celebrity whose gonna be there. But I'm going to need to get used to it if I want to play bigger gigs. So I guess I'm... indifferent?'

Quinn shrugs, seemingly satisfied. He returns to editing his photos as I open my eyes again and roll onto one side, facing the wall.  I reach out for my phone next to my pillow, and check the time. 5:17 pm. I've got around forty minutes till we leave. Sleep doesn't seem to be working so I open my phone and open up Tik Tok. I don't have an account or upload anything, I have it literally just to pass the time. I start scrolling through my recommended page. I just want to be on stage now.