Part Twenty

Noah

Robbie and I enter the kitchen, and we're greeted by mom and Chloe sat at the breakfast bar. Both of them are already dressed for the day, and they're used to seeing me like this when I normally wake up. They're not, however, used to seeing me up this early if it's not for school or a shoot. I head straight over to the fridge, bracing myself for the inevitable sarcastic comments about me being up.

Robbie's awkwardly standing near the breakfast bar, his hands now thrown deep into his hoodie pockets, unsure of whether to sit down or not.

'Well this is a surprise!'

I fling the fridge door open, ignoring Chloe's comment. I grab a carton of orange juice, before closing the door and turning my attention to one of the cupboards where our glasses are stored, grabbing two for me and Robbie.

'Maybe we should invite Robbie over more often, it looks like he's good at getting you out of bed at a reasonable time.'

I watch a grin slowly start to form on Robbie's face as a result of my mom's comment.

'It's kinda my fault. I'm getting picked up in like an hour to go into New York, and I wanted something to eat before I left.'

Pouring out some of the juice into the glasses with my back turned to everyone, I smile a little. Bless Robbie, he's trying to apologise for something I'm not even mad about. He cares so much about the little things for his friends, and I think that's adorable.

I turn back around and approach the breakfast bar, full glasses in my hands.

'Yep. You've ruined my morning. Thanks a bunch.'

I hand a glass to Robbie, and I watch as him, Chloe and mom share a smile about him 'ruining' my morning. Robbie finally manages to pull up one of the seats at the bar and sits down, although he still looks like he could be ready to get up and run at any point.

'What do you fancy having Robbie? I can cook some pancakes or something, if you don't want anything hot or heavy we've got yoghurt, fruit, cereal -'

I'm watching Robbie's eyes widen as my mom gives him a seemingly never ending list of breakfast options.

'Mom, if you don't stop you're gonna make him so big he won't fit inside Madison Square Garden.'

'I'm just letting him know what we have. Basically Robbie, what my son is trying to say is that whatever you fancy, I'm sure I can rustle it up for you.'

Robbie smiles thankfully, and I notice as he starts to scratch at his left sleeve.

'Um - the pancakes sounded good -'

My mom beams.

'Pancakes it is! Do you want Blueberries on top?'

'Yeah... that would be nice.'

'Mom, I saw we've got strawberries in the fridge. Robbie likes strawberry.'

All the eyes in the kitchen are on me. Robbie's gone a shade of red similar to a strawberry, and I see a small smile of understanding growing on Chloe's face.

'Oh, that'd be no problem at all. But it's up to Robbie, not you Noah. What would you prefer?'

Robbie swallows nervously, still a bright red.

'Uh... if it's alright - if you're fine with it, can I please have strawberry?'

My mom claps her hands together.

'Strawberry it is then!'

As she busies herself grabbing ingredients from the fridge and heating up a pan on the stove, I join Robbie and Chloe at the table. Robbie sits opposite me, and he mouths a little 'thank you' as I sit down. Chloe's noticed that as well, and she can't stop smiling. I hope she doesn't say anything that'll make him run for the hills.