Part Fourteen

Noah

I can feel Robbie shaking as we hug and I squeeze him a little bit harder. I'm so happy for him. This is a massive deal, especially for him, and I don't want to ruin it. We pull out of the celebratory hug and he's got this sort of giddy look on his face which I recognise -- it's similar to the face I had when I found out I'd got the part in Stranger Things.

Madison Square Garden is like the holy grail for performers. I remember hearing some people saying that you knew you'd made it as a musician if you played there. And Robbie's going there now.

I'm kinda glad his phone rang, I immediately regret the fact that I was about to ask him about his arm. It's a terrible thing to do, seeing as we're not even close friends and it's a hugely personal thing for him. But I want to get to know him better. We get on so well and even the silences between us are comfortable. I feel like I can be myself around him, and I'm hoping he can eventually be himself around me too.

We've been standing in silence for a bit, and I break into a smile.

'What are you standing there for? Let's go tell Millie! And give her the fro-yo she wanted. But that's not as important.'

Robbie looks straight at me and grins.

'You're right. The fro-yo is more important!'

I've taught him well. We begin the short walk back to where we came from, and I see Robbie's eating a bit more slowly, still trying to adjust to reality. I see something flicker across his face as he looks from his little cup and back at me.

'What did you want to ask me before I got called?'

I pull a face. It's not the right time or place to ask him about this now.

'Oh, it was nothing really. Don't worry about it.'

'You telling me not to worry about it is going to make me worry more about it.'

I roll my eyes at him and he giggles, putting another spoonful of fro-yo in his mouth. He's nearly finished it already, and I have to say I'm impressed. We're closing in on Millie, but before we reach her I stop and pull out my phone.

'Do you want my number?'

Robbie freezes in place and he spins round to look at me. He's starstruck again and I honestly can't get enough of seeing his face light up every time I do something for him.

'I... what?!'

'Do you want my number? I mean talking on Instagram is fine but this might be easier. And it also means I can facetime you at 2am to annoy you.'

He's in more shock than he already was, which is unbelievable. He pushes his glasses back up the ridge of his nose slightly and shakily nods.

'I mean... if you're cool with it, then yeah I'd love to.'

'Of course I'm cool with it, or I wouldn't have asked you pleb.'

Robbie beams as he brings his phone out of his pocket. We switch phones and enter each other's numbers into our contacts. I choose what I hope he'll find a funny nickname for me in his phone, and I hand it back.

I watch for his reaction as he reads through what I've put. I hope he doesn't freak out that I've already put 'best friend' in there but I genuinely feel like we're that close.

'Noah, best friend and the fro-yo God?'

I grin and nod.

'It's the truth.'

'I love it. Thank you so much. I hope you like the nickname I put in your phone.'

I look down at my own phone in surprise, not expecting him to have done the same. Not that I'm complaining. I can't help but grin. Robbie, best friend and insert *sad guitar noises*.