Part Four

Robbie

A short car ride later and I'm walking through the doors into the atrium of the Tabernacle. I'm impressed, it's got the same old theatre vibe and decor that a lot of venues in the West End of London have. I wasn't expecting something like this, especially in America. I gaze at the intricate carvings on the walls, following them around the room until my eyes falls on Cade. They're less twitchy than they were earlier, thank God.

They notice me and grin.

'You ready to see where you're gonna be playing?'

I nod, definitely playing down my excitement.

Cade makes a move for the large double doors and opens them, almost with the same flair Willy Wonka did when opening the doors to his chocolate factory. I'm trying to play it cool, but there's a huge smile plastered across my face as my breath catches in my throat and I take my first steps into the massive open room. Cade notices, and chuckles.

I stare up at the high ceiling, thinking about what the acoustics must be like in this place. Small balconies line the sides of the room, a level above the massive open space in front of the stage where the standing crowd are going to be.

I stand in the middle of the room, taking it all in. I love coming to venues when they're empty cause they feel so different. You can get a proper feel of the place you're playing, and this is one of my favourite parts of what I do.

I can't help but pull out my phone and record a short video for my Instagram story, just spinning on the spot showing the empty location. I watch as it posts on my story, hoping that'll build up the excitement for the few people who care. I turn to face the stage where I'll be standing later - some stage hands and tour crew are setting up some screens at the back of the stage, and I see our guitar tech Connor placing my trusty old loop pedal centre stage, near some mic stands which are also being set up.

I take the steps up onto the stage, placing my hands in the pockets of my jeans as I gaze out at the empty space. It's funny to think how different it's going to look in several hours, with the stage lights on and the sea of faces of people who are unbelievably there for me and my music.

'Just think, there's going to be just over two and a half thousand people here tonight.'

Cade has appeared next to me, and has conjured another coffee out of nowhere into one of their hands. I turn my head slightly towards them.

'You mean?'

'Yep. You've sold the place out. We've got a full house tonight.'

'That's... pretty freaking cool.'

I return to staring back out at the empty space. I hear a shutter click, and spin round quickly in the direction it came from, knowing exactly who it was. Quinn's standing there smiling, baseball cap spun off to one side of his head, his eye glued into the view piece of the camera in his hands.

Quinn has been one of my longest standing friends aside from Adrian, and he's always wanted to do tour photography for his favourite musicians in the world. So as soon as I found out I'd be going on tour, I offered him the role of my tour photographer. He's done an exceptional job, cause it is quite hard to make me look somewhat decent when a good camera makes me look more weird than I normally am.

Knowing he probably got a nice 'pensive' shot of me staring out into the empty space which I can already see being shared with a black and white filter on it, I stare right at the camera and pull a stupid face as he clicks away. He laughs, taking more pictures as I pull off a few more ridiculous poses. The sound of feedback running through the room's speakers ring out and everyone moans or swears appropriately until it's cut out.