Part Thirty Four

Robbie

'A hush falls on the crowd here in the gold medal event. It's all tied up, at twenty one points a piece for both teams and we're at match point. It looks like Robbie Pearce is going to serve, he has been excellent this game, and might I add as well, that he's extraordinarily handsome--'

'Robbie, shut up so you can lose already.'

'It's service--'

I jump up in the water, flinging the inflatable down to the other end of the pool, where Michael and Tyler scrabble to keep the ball up in the air. Tyler manages to reach the ball, hitting it up high back towards my end, where I start to wind up my arm to smack it back as hard as I can--

'AND IT'S SCHNAPP FOR THE WIN!'

Noah bursts out of the water nearby, practically drowning me as he rises to smack the ball. I hear the sound of his hand connecting with the cheap plastic on the inflatable before I go under the water, and when I come back up, I'm greeted with my cousins and Noah in fits of laughter.

'What? Where is it?-- Oh.'

I've followed their gaze and spotted the inflatable ball stuck in an outcrop of rocks jutting from the cliff by the pool. I turn to look at Noah incredulously, not even bothering to hide the hysterical smile that's forming across my face. Noah looks from the ball, to all of us in the pool and shrugs.

'I mean technically, it's not out of bounds.'

'It's not in the pool!!'

'But it never left the pool, so it's--'

The ball comes loose from its perch and lands with a dull thwack on Michael and Tyler's side of the pool. We all look at each other in confusion, before I turn to Noah with a grin on my face.

'It landed on their side.'

'So... technically we won?'

Becca's laid on one of the sun beds by the pool, and pulls her sunglasses down from her eyes to look at us.

'Yeah, I guess you guys won.'

'WHAT?!!' Michael and Tyler protest, but it's too late. Noah and I begin celebrating our 'victory', even if it was helped by rocks. I watch Noah as he tramples across the pool to my cousins, giving them handshakes and making a big deal out the win, but I really don't mind. It's all a bit of fun and it's helped to take my mind off of the shit which happened earlier. It's been a couple hours since my parents left with Amanda and Joe, I'm gonna assume that they're most likely exploring the small town square near the villa. And knowing Amanda, she's probably already drinking Sangria or whatever alcohol they can find, which means that she's going to be a bunch of fun when they get back.

'This is bullshit.'

Michael grabs the ball again, his competitive sporty side coming through more than it did during the game.

'Best two of three.'

'I mean sure, if you guys want to lose again...'

Noah looks over at me, almost asking with his eyes if I'd be alright going another round. I clutch my left arm with my hand out of instinct, and give him a small shrug.

'I think I'm gonna get out and take a break for a bit.'

Noah mouths 'Are you okay?' at me and I give him a small smile and nod to go with it, and he seems to accept that. His attention is turned back to Michael and his brother as I cross the pool to the steps leading out of it.

'We can do two against one. Bring it on.'

Giggles and shouts start up again, with the occasional sound of the splashing as the ball bounces back and forth. I've pulled myself out of the pool, and already the dry wood of the decking is scorching hot in the afternoon, so I practically hop over to the sun bed next to Becca where I left my towel.