Part Twenty Nine

Noah

'Was Robbie wearing your shirt?'

Shit. Of course Millie picked up on something as small as that. But she doesn't know that it's my shirt. I turn round on the end of my bed to look at her, perched up near the headboard. I'm trying to keep myself calm, so that Millie can't read into me too much and figure out the truth about me and Robbie.

I take a deep breath, and shrug, feigning innocence.

'Of course not. It's just the same brand as the ones I've got.'

Millie looks up from her phone as her eyes scan me up and down. She smirks, and goes back to looking at her phone.

'Yeah you're right. It's a popular brand. Sorry I asked, I just remembered that you had the same shirt.'

I exhale slowly through my lips. Great. I nearly messed up and revealed my sexuality before I was ready to share it openly with Millie. I look over at her curiously. I know she wouldn't be against me coming out -- instead the complete opposite. She'd be all for it. But it's like Robbie said in my room a couple nights ago. It's terrifying having to come out and have that conversation, even with people who you'll know love and support you no matter your sexual preference.

Millie's noticed me staring at her, and drops her phone to her side, looking over at me with concern.

'Are you alright?'

'What?-- Yeah, I'm fine.'

She looks at me with that knowing look, and smiles at me.

'Worried about the premiere?'

'A little, yeah. Okay. A lot.'

'It'll be fine. We've done this so many times before. You've got me, Finn, and everyone else there too. So don't worry.'

She scoots down the bed and lays a hand on mine.

'We've got this, okay?'

I grin and nod at her, before wrapping her in a hug.

'Yeah. We've got this.'

A couple hours later, and Millie and I pile into the rather fancy limousine that Netflix had organised to take us to the premiere. I'm surprised that Millie was able to get in without much difficulty, seeing how large the dress she's wearing is. She does look stunning though, and I just know that the media there are gonna be in a frenzy following her around.

After a relatively short journey in the car, we pull up to the red carpet, but I could already see the press frenzy backed up along the street, waiting for us. There's that awkward moment I hate when the car stops, and you have to wait what feels like an eternity until someone opens the door for you. Thank God Millie is the one closest to the door we're exiting out of. Come on. I don't know why I'm so nervous about this. Millie was right earlier, we've done this so many times but I still feel that little pang of anxiety before stepping out in front of a crowd.

We hear the doors unlock, and Millie turns to look at me with a reassuring smile. She places her hand on mine, squeezing it reassuringly, before pushing the door open and stepping out of the car. I'll give her credit, she's getting it over and done with, which is an excellent idea. I take another deep breath, and close my eyes. My thoughts immediately fall to Robbie. I wish he was here, and we could walk up together. I feel untouchable when I'm beside him. I open my eyes, determination crossing my face. Let's do this.

It wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be, and after posing for only a couple of photos and answering a few questions, Millie and I find ourselves inside the atrium of the large cinema that's been rented out for the occasion. People are dressed up smartly around us, and it does hit home that we're just teenagers amongst all these adults, all of whom have a lot more experience in the industry than us. It's kinda intimidating.