Part Twenty Four - The Lamppost Back on Sixth Street

Robbie

It's almost like something out of the movies as we drive through the centre of New York city. I may end up acting or looking like a tourist but I don't care. The whole night time vibe and flashing lights of the city is hypnotic for a lot of people, but I never really saw it that way. Loads of people say that you know you've 'made it' when you're in New York or LA, and I understand that, but personally I wouldn't want to set up here. I'd rather be closer to home and just work on my own music in a comfortable place, where I'm not surrounded by some of the really ignorant dicks in the industry.

I look across to Noah, whose similarly staring out of his window at the view he's probably seen countless times. He's nervous, I picked up on that after we hugged back at Madison Square Garden and I pulled away. I know if I was in his position I would've freaked out if I pulled away, and I feel really guilty about it. This whole little trip and plan he's set out is making me panic a little bit, but in a good way. Will this be the best time to maybe try to open up to him? I mean, I just finished playing my biggest show, and now we're headed somewhere in New York at night. I'm not saying this would be the scene in our movie where if anything were to happen between us it would happen now, but you know. I'm holding out hope.

I look away from Noah and back out of my window. We're heading down some of the main streets now, and I'm surprised how busy the streets still are despite how late in the evening it is. Well, it is the city which never sleeps. Ugh. I can't believe I just thought that. I'm such a bloody tourist. Noah leans forward in his seat towards the driver.

'Just around here would be fine.'

'Are we there yet?'

Noah looks at me with a grin.

'We're close. But I fancy walking there.'

I pull a face and he laughs.

'Don't worry, it's not too far Mister famous musician. I'm sure you can survive a five minute walk.'

'Oh I know I can, I'm more worried about you.'

Noah shoves me slightly and I bounce away from him, grinning widely.

The driver shrugs, and pulls over alongside the pavement. The doors unlock, and I open the door, stepping out into the night air.  Noah clambers across the space between our seats and gets out behind me. I grin as I watch him crawl over and out of the seat, and he rolls his eyes.

He shuts the door behind him, and we both thank the driver, who speeds off a bit too quickly for a place where there's plenty of pedestrians around. We're left standing there, and my anxiety starts to build. Hilariously for someone who gets up in front of thousands of people, I do not do well in busy public places - which is why I wouldn't want to live in major cities. At least this street is a little bit quieter than some of the others we passed on the way here, but there's still the odd person passing us.

I think Noah's noticed I'm on edge, and he shuffles a bit closer to me, nudging me gently.

'You good?'

I nod, even if it's only half the truth.

'Where's this big surprise then?' I joke, and Noah starts to get a bit embarrassed.

'Who said there's a surprise?'

I roll my eyes and Noah laughs, knocking into me slightly and I'm freaking out at the contact. He looks at me with those kind, trusting eyes I know I could never hate, and gestures behind him.

'Come on then. This way to your "surprise".'

We start walking down the street at a decent pace, which I'm glad about cause normally I'm speeding ahead to try to avoid having people talk to me, and I hate walking with Cade and Quinn cause they walk so slowly it's unbelievable. But once again, doing something with Noah is just... right. We're really close to each other on the pavement, and there's that small gap between us where our hands could fall into each other, but I know that's not gonna happen.