Chapter 35

When we got home, I took a shower and threw on my pajamas. I dove under my cover only to discover that sleep wasn't going to be my friend tonight. I sighed. I wasn't even tired anymore. I slipped out of bed and headed downstairs to watch Tv.

"Couldn't sleep?" Dad asked as I entered the living room.

I nodded my head and settled down next to him. I looked up at my dad's face.

"What are you thinking about?"

"About how much I miss you guys. I miss your mom." Dad wrapped his arm around me.

"We miss you too, daddy."

Dad sighed, "I'm not at home enough. Did I make a mistake by taking this job?"

I shook my head. "You took the job so you would be able to provide for us and because you were doing something you enjoyed. No one can blame you for that, and we certainly don't. At least you're better than mom."

"Uh-oh, I know that sour look. What's been going on at home?"

"She's just- she's never home! It's not like she has a job like yours that requires her to be away. You know one time she went straight to Ms. Cynthia's house after work and didn't even bother to tell us? I had to cook dinner and worry about where she was. That's not okay. She's turned so hateful."

I took a deep breath and continued on with my rant. "And I'm always being compared to Andrea! Always! I honestly feel like I'm never good enough. "

"Adri-"

"No! It's gotten so bad that it's not even just with mom. It's with whoever I meet. The people in my life! I've always felt inferior to Andrea, and mom only ever makes it worse. I even thought about opening up to her about the bullshit Andrea put me though, but I don't even think she would care. She would probably find a way to make it all my fault, to be honest."

"Whoa, wait, What happened to you and Andrea?"

I sighed and launched into my story. Dad squeezed me.

"I'm so sorry, baby. That must have been hard to go through."

Dad shook his head. "I don't know when their personalities got so rotten. Although, I'm probably to blame for your mother's attitude."

"Don't blame yourself for either of their behavior. Mom's just being mom, or what I've come to know as mom these last couple of years. And Andrea is just a brat, and she's always been a brat. Now she's just an even bigger brat."

"So..."

"Hmm?"

"Kellan, huh?"

I laughed. "Yeah, dad. I really like him."

"Does he take care of you?"

"Every chance he gets." I smile big thinking of the boy who managed to make everything seem okay.

"Good. Maybe next time you come to visit me, you can bring him along."

"I'd like that a lot."

Towards the middle of the week, Andrea had finally started to mellow out and finally have some fun. The weekend was coming way faster than I wanted it to. I missed my friends, but I hated that I would be leaving dad so soon. I guess it showed on my face because dad pulled me off the couch and dragged Andrea out of her room.

"We're going out."

"Where?"

"There's a trendy flea market in town, and we're going."

"Do we have to?" Andrea asked

"I'm buying."

A smile instantly graced Andrea's face.

"To the flea market, we go!"

As soon as we got to the Flea Market, I spotted a stall selling jewelry. I saw a gold pleated natural orchid necklace. It was called the Scarlet Dancer. I looked up at my dad.

"Can I?"

"Sure, peanut."

Andrea packed out a handmade gemstone choker. I think it was called ocean bloom. I saw a gorgeous silver necklace with a beautifully colored gem. It was insanely pretty and instantly reminded me of Sarah. I believe it was called Bold Moon. I purchased it and began looking for gifts for my other friends. I got the boys a Chankas Warrior bracelet. It was a Brown braided bracelet with three silver beads. I saw the Lidah API and instantly knew I wanted to buy it for Kellan. It was a tongue of wooden fire pendant. Dad put a hand on my shoulder.

"Feeling any better?"

"Yes! Thanks for getting me out of the house."

Dad smile. "I couldn't let my peanut mope around all day."

All too soon it was Friday, and it was time for us to go back. The whole ride to the airport was silent. Going home was going to be so hard for me. I'm going to hate leaving dad. We reached our terminal with five minutes left. I turned towards my dad, and my lip quivered.

"I don't wanna go, dad."

Dad's face fell.

"Aww peanut, don't go giving me that look. You'll make me cry."

"I'm sorry!" I said, shoving my face into his chest.

He kissed the top of my head.

"I told you next time you visit you can bring Kellan. Plus, I'll probably be stationed somewhere else. That'll be fun." He rubbed my back, and I nodded.

I stepped back and watched Andrea swipe her eyes before rolling them. She gave him a tight hug and whispered: "I'll miss you, dad."

"Gate A3, ready for departure." The lady's thick accent sounded over the intercom.

"That's you guys," Dad said, pulling us to him once again.

"I love you both. Get home safely."

"We will." Andrea and I said in unison. "

"Bye, daddy."

Dad smiled. "Bye, my babies."

We boarded the plane and had a peaceful flight home. I savored it, knowing as soon as we got home the old Andrea would resurface. I suppose asking for her attitude change to stick would be asking too much. I smiled to myself. I guess it was nice while it lasted.