|4| Halloween & the First Quidditch Match

On October 31st, Hogwarts oozed with the Halloween spirit

On October 31st, Hogwarts oozed with the Halloween spirit. There were various sized pumpkins in every nook and cranny and jack-o-lanterns floating above people's heads. The strong smell of cinnamon and baked pumpkin pastries wafted through the air. At breakfast they served pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin pasties, pumpkin pies, pumpkin French toast, and dozens more festive food. And by the looks of it, Ron was in food heaven.

Allegra stared wide eyed as she held her fork mid-way up to her mouth, looking at Ron's mess. He was devouring the food like it would disappear at any moment, and that he couldn't seem to get his hands on it fast enough. Despite growing up with him all these years, she could never get over his hearty appetite.

"His stomach is like a bottomless pit. Where does all the food go if he's still so tiny?" Gaped Prue. Allegra shrugged. "After all these years that's still a mystery to me too."

"I envy his metabolism," remarked Prue before going back to eating. Allegra did the same, and bit on her food thoughtfully.

The past two months had flown by, yet she felt like so much had happened in-between. Strangely enough, the encounter with the three headed dog, as vividly as she remembered it, felt like ages ago. Once she even felt tempted to go back to the Charms corridor to check if it was real. If she really had encountered the beast, been chased by Filch and Peeves, ran through the school after curfew with Ron and Harry, and been irate with Hermione Granger.

Granger, she thought, looking down the table. Sure enough, Hermione was sitting at the end with a thick book in her hands. She was sitting with a group of other First Year girls, but they clearly weren't including her in the conversation.

All of a sudden Hermione peeked up from her book with a lonesome look in her eyes before casting them back down again.

Allegra slouched. She could feel the girl's sadness like a morbid repetition. She felt bad for the first year, even if she didn't particularly like her. Ron told her that Hermione had left him and Harry completely alone since the three headed dog incident.

Christmas must have come early, Ron had said.

She couldn't understand exactly what Hermione was going through. Prue and her had hit it off since the moment they sat together on the Hogwarts Express, and even though she knew their intentions weren't totally genuine, other people in her year were friendly enough towards her.

Suddenly, Allegra frowned.

Hermione was a Muggle-born. Any friends she did have she couldn't possibly be completely honest to or close with now because of the Statute of Secrecy. And by the looks of it, none of the other Gryffindors in her year liked her very much. She suddenly felt not only pity, but ashamed. Guilty for disliking a girl who wasn't even that bad. Even if she was a bit nosy.