|37| Victor's and Ariadne's Crown

"Today we will be brewing the Wit-Sharpening Potion," declared Snape

"Today we will be brewing the Wit-Sharpening Potion," declared Snape. "You will be working in pairs that I assign. Once settled, turn to page 287."

Allegra remained standing off to the side with Prue. As usual, she assumed Snape would be pairing her with one of her fellow house mates. But as the list continued, her dread increased.

"Cormac McLaggen and Marcus Belby."

"The Ravenclaw version of Cormac," snickered Prue.

Cormac heard her and whipped around, pointing accusingly. "I'll have you know, I am far better looking than Marcus Belby-"

"How many times have I told you to cease your flirtations with Miss Del Vecchio during my class, McLaggen," drawled Snape.

"But I wasn't flirting this time!" He defended.

"Five points from Gryffindor for talking back," said Snape smoothly. "Another five if you don't sit down beside your partner within the next three seconds."

Cormac zoomed to the desk Marcus Belby was at. Snape continued.

"Prue Belmont and Marietta Edgecombe."

"If I slap her it's not my fault. Blame Snape for pairing me with her," grumbled Prue as she walked off.

Allegra and Robert looked at each other hopefully.

"Robert Bennet and Cho Chang."

"Oh, she's not that bad," said Robert, walking over to Cho.

She crossed her fingers.

Please don't let it be-

"Allegra Del Vecchio and Langston Eastwood."

Whether Snape knew what he was doing or not, she shot him a loathsome look before walking to some random desk and sitting down. A moment later the chair next to her screeched.

They didn't even look at each other. Allegra crossed her arms, withering in discomfort at the icky sensation on her skin.

"The two main ingredients for this potion are armadillo bile and ginger root. Make sure to get enough of those from the storage room, as you'll need to add them several times," Snape told them.

"I'll get the ingredients," said Langston. He stood up and headed toward the storage room. As he did, Prue tapped her shoulder. She turned around.

"I dunno what you did to deserve this kind of karma," Prue cringed.

"Neither do I," she said dryly.

Langston came back carrying some ginger root, scarab beetles, and a vial of armadillo bile. He laid out the ingredients before they both read the instructions in advance to have a general idea as to how to make the potion.