|23| No Time To Die

When they all agreed not to ask Hagrid about the monster unless there was another attack, it initially left Allegra feeling iffy

When they all agreed not to ask Hagrid about the monster unless there was another attack, it initially left Allegra feeling iffy. But after months of normalcy, which basically meant no more attacks, the paranoia in her died down. It seemed like everything was back to normal. The whole school believed whoever the attacker was was done for good. People were slowly warming back up to Harry, no longer believing he was the Heir of Slytherin. She continued to teach herself DADA, and all her other classes breezed by. Especially Arithmancy. That had become her favorite class due to a certain Hufflepuff with soft grey eyes.

"Mr. Diggory I do not believe you'll find the answers to the assignment on the side of Miss Del Vecchio's face," drawled Professor Vector.

Giggles erupted throughout the class.

"She's right you know," Allegra teased in a soft tone, turning her head away from the textbook and meeting Cedric's gaze.

He simply grinned lopsidedly, resting his jaw on his palm. "What's your favorite color?"

"Light blue, I suppose," she said, thinking back to her mother's eyes and glancing down at the topaz charm on her bracelet. She looked back at him with raised brows. "You want to risk detention by Vector again just to know what my favorite color is?"

"Details," he said with a careless wave of his hand. "I'd much rather talk to you than work on this- this Chad system."

"The Chaldean system," she corrected light heartedly. "The Babylonians used it."

"Like, muggle ancient?" He asked. Allegra nodded. "They were pretty amazing," she said, "the Babylonians created the first known maps and these colossal intricate walls that surrounded the capital. The beauty of their culture and architecture was incomparable. The city flourished in it. So much so that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon became one of the Seven Wonders of the World."

"I've heard of the Hanging Gardens before, but what I don't get is what made them so special," Cedric admitted.

"The gardens were said to be enormous and made of stone pillars, marble, and exotic plants. They say the King created it as a gift to his wife, a Persian princess, to ease her homesickness," she explained.

He blinked. "A man made this enormous garden, whose legends stood the test of time and is considered one of the seven most beautiful things in the world, as a gift for his wife? He set the bar far too high."

"He was a king, Cedric," she reminded him, "but I do think it's pretty remarkable what he- no, every ancient muggle civilization was able to create without magic." She titled her head at him. "Do you think it holds us back? From being witches and wizards?"

"From what?"

"From being great artists," she clarified. "Lets face it: the art pieces in our world are nothing compared to the muggle ones by Michelangelo or Da Vinci. Neither is our architecture. The most fascinating buildings in our world are the Ministry's of Magic. And our star literary accomplishment is The Tales of Beetle and the Bard. That's a children's book. I think because of the things we can do with magic we lack the imagination needed to create something truly inspiring and timeless."