|49| The Burden of a Triwizard Champion

Dear padfoot,

Dear padfoot,

This is the last time I will be sending Bruno between us. I know that since you're back in the country we can't be using the same owls over and over again.

I'm making sure to send this after you've already gotten Harry's letter. By now you know he's the fourth champion in the Triwizard Tournament. We both know he didn't put his name in, but the rest of the school doesn't seem to think so. At this point I don't know what to do. I'm...lost. It seems every year Harry's in the middle of some sort of pandemonium. I've been his friend long enough to know this won't end well.

None of the less, I'm going to try and help him in any way I can. The rest of the champions are far older than him, so he's going to have a bit of competition. In other news, things between my Uncle and I have sizzled out and we're on pretty good terms now. Months ago I was extremely hurt, petty, and desperate to get back at him any way I could. Still, as of now, I think a part of me is always going to resent him for not telling me you were my dad. Good intentions or not.

Lastly, I've decided you are the only one I am so generously and gracefully going to allow to know what career I want (besides telling Minnie in the spring time for Career Advice).

I'm planning to become an Unspeakable
in the Department of Mysteries after Hogwarts.

I know I know, my grandfather was the Head of that Department when he was alive, but my choice has nothing to do with him. Though I have read through his journals and books regarding his studies. Though they call them Unspeakables and they can never discuss what they do, he did write plenty.

I'm very sure this is want I want to do. From everything I've heard and my grandfather's past works, the job fascinates me. I know you were particularly avid with me becoming an Auror, but because of my empathy, large hectic fighting scenes like that become very overwhelming at times and I loose focus. Not something that I can afford to do in that line of job.

Anyways, I'm really glad your back home and that you're safe. Please please please stay safe. As always, I'll be thinking of you.

Love,

Allegra Del Vecchio B.

*

The next morning in the Great Hall was exactly like the night before.

Everybody was talking avidly about the Tournament and Cedric and Harry, although Allegra heard many conversations that weren't so positive about the latter. Ernie Macmillan for example was appalled that they let Harry into the Tournament because he obviously cheated and was too young. But the first task should show that very quickly.

Allegra broke her neck to turn around and glare at the Hufflepuff. "What do you mean, Ernie?" She asked.

Ernie swallowed thickly. It was well known around the school that Cedric Diggory's girlfriend wasn't nearly as nice as him.