|33| Erised

Go get the girl

Go get the girl

Hermione had no idea these words would turn Harry into a cowardly idiot.

"I don't need her love!" He yelped, digging his feet into the ground as her and Ron tried pushing him toward the Fourth Year girl studying alone at a table.

"Harry, as your best friend it's my job to ensure any girl you fancy becomes your girlfriend. And lucky for you, this girl happens to like you back!" Chirped Ron.

"No she doesn't! I'm not tall, strong, or handsome like Ce-"

Hermione pinched the back of his neck, making him yelp.

"Don't talk about yourself like that!" She scolded, "seriously Harry, is it so hard to believe that Allegra may actually like you for you?"

"Why would she?"

The cold hard truth was Harry lacked self-esteem. With the way his family had treated him for years, continues to treat him, all the good can't over come all the bad. Subconsciously it all got to his head, and at times such as right now, it showed.

"Because you're amazing," she said softly. "You're not perfect, but who is? Not Allegra, that's for sure. You two have been through so much together. How could she not fall for you? Even a little?"

Harry didn't say anything, but her words had clearly hit a nerve.

"Come on Harry," encouraged Ron,  "how're you gonna sit back and mope when you haven't even tried. Just look at her! Is she really not worth it?"

Harry's green eyes swished back over to Allegra. She was scribbling something down quickly, lost in thought as she bit down on her lip. And the way Harry looked at her... Hermione wished a day would come when someone looked at her like that.

"She's more than worth it," he spoke softly, but it sounded like he was speaking more to himself than them. Ron and her shared giddy, thrilled grins as Harry marched toward Allegra. They quickly walked through the aisles to get within ear shot of their friends. To be safe, they hid in the aisle next door. Because of this they couldn't see, and had to rely on their sense of hearing.

"Hi Allegra!"

Ron cringed. "Why did his voice get so high?"

"Oh, hey Harry. What're you doing in the library?"

"Looking at you."

Hermione pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I mean, looking FOR you," he corrected hastily. "I just, I mean- I...I didn't see you at lunch."

"I've been here all day studying for my Arithmancy O.W.L. and doing homework."

"Arithmancy," said Harry, and Hermione just knew he was nodding, "cool...numbers."