|31| The Lost Weekend

"Stars shining bright above you,Night breezes seem to whisper I love you,Birds singing in the sycamore tree,Dream a little dream of me

Night breezes seem to whisper I love you,
Birds singing in the sycamore tree,
Dream a little dream of me.
Say night-ie night and kiss me,
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me,
While I'm alone and blue as can be,
Dream a little dream of me."

Her mother's eyes sparkled peeking up from their intertwined hands. Delicate, ivory hands that played with her fingers. Her silvery voice thrummed through the air like an everlasting harp.

"Stars fading but I linger on,
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn,
Just saying this.
Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you,
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you,
But in your dreams whatever they be,
Dream a little dream of me."

Allegra could feel her limbs become weightless. The voice was intoxicating in the best way possible; a hypnotic warmth she wanted more of. She could listen to it forever.

"Stars fading but I linger on,
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn,
Just saying this.
Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you,
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you,
But in your dreams whatever they be,
Dream a little dream of me..."

The vowel rang out into the still air. Their eyes connected again, and her mother smiled sadly.

"You dream of me, right Allegra? Do you remember me?"

She nodded quickly, tightening her hand's grip. As if to physically reassure the truth. "Of course I do. Not a day goes by where I don't wish you were here."

"But I am here," her mom insisted with a confused expression. "No matter where you are, I'm always with you. Never forget that, my little Gioia."

"Always?"

Isabella smiled warmly. "Always."

But then her long golden hair began to fade away like smoke. Allegra panicked when she looked down at their intertwined hands and saw her mother's fingers begin to wisp away like ribbons.

"No, no no no. Come back. Come back. You said you'd always be with me. You said you'd always be here," she croaked.

By now her mom had disappeared. Allegra stayed sitting motionless on the ground, staring at where she had just been. She didn't realize till now the room was pure black. The darkness felt heavy, oppressive, supernatural. She found herself swallowed up in the nothingness, not even being able to see her own two hands. There was no way out. Nothing and no one to be seen and nowhere to go. She was alone.

Suddenly she heard murmurs. Whispers and hisses coming from a distance, but gradually closing in from all directions.

"Fides Inviolata."