|30| A Night Out On The Town

"Today we will be exploding things

"Today we will be exploding things."

Allegra and Prue snapped their heads at each another. The confusion was evident on their faces, but so was the jittery excitement.

"I'm sorry, Professor Flitwick, but did you just say we will be exploding things?" Called Robert from the row in front of them. "Like, boom?'"

"Boom," he nodded. Cheers and whoops erupted throughout the classroom.

"Shhh or he'll take it back!" Hissed Prue, waving her arms. The class rumbled with laughter while Flitwick shook his head, already looking like he was regretting this.

"The Exploding Charm," he began, hopping onto his desk and standing poised and straight. "Detonates the target with a small explosion. But never forget, it is still an explosion. This particular one can be used to blast open sealed doors or blow bars off windows."

"Not that I'm complaining," Allegra whispered to Prue, "but when will we ever need to blast off doors and windows?"

An eighteen year old Allegra wanted to punch her past self in the face.

"The incantation for this mild Exploding Charm is Bombarda. Repeat after me: Bombarda," Flitwick enunciated.

"Bombarda," they all chanted together.

He smiled. "Good. Now never confuse this with it's more powerful sister charm, Bombarda Maxima."

"What happens if we do?" Asked Cormac.

Flitwick shrugged. "You may die."

"That's cheerful," she mumbled.

"But we'll move onto casting a Bombarda Maxima later on in the year. For now, the much smaller Bombarda spell is our main focus. Now let's practice the wand movement."

For the next hour Flitwick intensely focused on their practice. In both moving their wands correctly, the theory, understanding how to harness their power, and speaking very, very clearly. She couldn't blame him. If anyone messed up too badly they could blow up the classroom.

For the practical part of the lesson they all stood in scattered pairs by the dozens of ceiling height windows. The windows were pushed wide open so they could cast the spell out towards the sky. The classroom was so high up from the main ground that they didn't have to worry about hurting anyone.

"Hey Cormac," said Robert. He was standing at the window and waving his wand at his friend. "This one's for you, if you ever leave your dirty fucking draws on my bed again-"

"MR. BENNET!"

"Just jokin' Filius!"

"He's not joking," Cormac grumbled to her. Allegra snickered, watching Robert trying to do the spell. "But by the sound of it you seem like a horrible roommate. If Katie or Demelza ever left their draws on my bed I would literally kill them."