|36| The Anguish

The castle was in uproar about Sirius Black's break in

After Allegra shouted so did Ron, and their screams had basically awoken all of Gryffindor tower. The whole thing felt like a blur. One second she was staring into the wide eyes of Sirius Black, and the next the light flickered on, and he was gone.

They all ended up in the common room, initiated from Harry running out the door the moment she said she'd woken up to Sirius Black standing over them with a knife. Everybody came down to see what the raucous was. At first they didn't believe her and Ron when they'd said what they saw. Then Professor McGonagall came down to ask what was going on. Percy hastily stumbled over his words saying Ron had a nightmare and that she'd had too much to drink. Ginny whispered not so quietly that she'd officially gone insane.

"I'M NOT CRAZY!" She roared into the shocked common room. "I KNOW WHAT I SAW! SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER US WITH A KNIFE! H-HE-"

Her heart started racing. She could hear every rapid thump blaring in her ears like drums. Feel her chest heave up and down above a twisting stomach. Her hands started to tremble.

Fuck, fuck fuck fuck not again-

Suddenly someone grabbed her, swishing her around.

It was Harry. For a few moments she could see his lips moving, but couldn't hear what he was saying. But somehow being held by him mellowed her senses, and she wondered if he was feeling and grabbing her the way he was on purpose to lull her to calm down.

"It's okay now, I promise. It's over now. You're safe, you're fine, he's gone."

She could tell he was saying anything he could at the top of his head in an effort to calm her down. When his thumb grazed her cheek, Allegra hadn't even realized she'd been crying.

Professor McGonagall was far more furious at Neville than at her. All she did was sleep in the boy's dormitory. Neville had written a list of the week's passwords and left it lying around, which is how Black got in. Black read the whole list to Sir Cadogan and the portrait let him into the tower. McGonagall banned Neville from all future Hogsmeade trips, gave him detention, and forbade anyone to give him the password to enter Gryffindor tower.

Security became tighter than ever. Flitwick taught the front doors how to recognize a large picture of Black. Filch boarded up everything from tiny cracks in the wall to mouse holes. Sir Cadogan was fired and the Fat Lady was back.

But most of all Allegra couldn't stand the whispers. While Ron had become an instant celebrity, basking in the attention and eagerly awaiting his story telling of what happened, no one dared to approach her. Instead they took to talking when they thought she wasn't listening.

"Black came to finish the job."

"Like mother like daughter."

"Why would Black want to kill her too?"