|41| City of Light

August 1994

August 1994

Paris, France

Allegra approached the bronze statue of a woman sitting on a pedestal. Suddenly the statue came to life, moving its leg and dress away from the pedestal it was seated upon. To anyone else it was a stretch of bare wall. To witches and wizards, it was the opening passage to Place Cachée. The French equivalent of Diagon Alley.

Taking one last look around to make sure no one was watching, she walked through the wall, easily passing through and coming onto the streets of Place Cachée.

It was a place she'd come to be very familiar with over the past few months. As a member of the International Confederation of Wizards, her Uncle was ordered to come to what the papers dubbed a 'once in a decade' conference that was being held in the city. Along with International Confederation members also came Ministry Workers, both from France and foreign countries. All from either the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, the Department of International Magical Cooperation, or the Department of Magical Games and Sports. One matter they had to discuss was the Quidditch World Cup, whose details were still being executed despite the matches going on back in Britain, and another international event her Uncle wouldn't tell her about.

Back in June he told her he had to come to Paris for the conference. That it was expected to take all summer, and as her guardian, she had to come with him.

Allegra hadn't wanted to go. She wanted to stay in Britain with her friends. To be able to see the Quidditch matches first hand instead of read about it in the papers. Yet for some reason her Uncle refused to let her stay. She'd asked countless times if she could stay with Prue in London or the Weasleys at the Burrow, but each and every time he said no. They argued back and forth, but in the end, she had no choice but to stay in Paris.

To her, her Uncle wasn't giving her actual logical reasons as to why she had to stay with him abroad. She'd wanted to see her friends and boyfriend all summer without the stress of school on their backs, and now she couldn't because once again her Uncle thought he had every right to call the shots in her life.

The whole home versus Paris ordeal only fueled more of her anger towards him. She was still mad at him for keeping the identity of her father hidden, and this was only the bitter cherry on the cake.

So perhaps, being the petty person she was, Allegra had gone a little... overboard in Paris.

Since the crème de la crème of Ministry of Magic workers came from all over Europe for the summer long conference, they also brought along their kids who were also not allowed to stay home alone.

They'd all met at embassy dinners hosted on weekdays, Balls hosted on weekends, run ins at the French Ministry of Magic and so on and so forth. Not to mention they were all either living in the hotels, townhouses, or apartments within Place Cachée. It was inevitable they kept seeing each other around, got to talking, and got to hanging out around the city instead of the stuffy parties.