Chapter 42

Gabriella

I gazed at my reflection in the full-length mirror, tilting my head while my fingers brushed the silky fabric of the dress I had on.

Today's the day.

Anthony and Gloriana's engagement party—the much-talked-about event everyone's been waiting for.

I managed to get ready in time, but a nagging feeling urged me to skip dressing up and avoid going altogether. Attending this party would only deepen the pain I was already feeling. However, being the leader of the Royal Mafia, I had no choice but to attend. People were expecting me to show up.

The long, body-hugging crimson dress clung to me like a second skin. Thin spaghetti straps held it in place, and it ended just below my knees. A delicate black belt accentuated my curves.

My straightened hair cascaded down my back, almost reaching my waist. I'd applied my own makeup—just a touch of foundation, a bit of mascara and eyeliner, creating a smoky look, and finished off with dark red lipstick.

Black stilettos added a little extra height. I twirled around, scrutinizing myself in the mirror until a knock at the door interrupted me. Liana stood there, dressed in an elegant dark blue gown with perfectly curled hair framing her face.

"The limo's here. Ready to go?" I nodded, grabbing my small tote before following her out.

A limousine waited by the entrance, the driver holding the door open. We hopped in, and he closed the door behind us, steering us toward the event venue.

During the ride, a sudden nervousness overcame me. My heart raced. I took a deep breath and shook my hands to rid them of the clammy sensation.

The car came to a stop, the driver opening our door. Putting on a forced smile, I stepped out, Liana by my side.

A red carpet stretched before us, leading into my resort—the venue for the party. Other cars were pulling up, people streaming inside. I stood rooted in place, looking ahead.

You can do this, Gabby. One step at a time.

Liana hooked her arm through mine, and I flinched at the touch before meeting her gaze.

"Shall we?" I finally nodded, letting her guide me forward.

The resort was splendidly decorated per Gloriana's request, without my consent. People flowed into the main hall where the event would unfold.

Together, Liana and I approached the main hall. Upon entering, my eyes caught the stage in one corner, and the room was adorned with small tables and chairs for guests. Buffet tables lined the sides.

Moving past the tables, we reached ours, adjacent to the stage. My parents, the twins, Uncle Matteo, and Gloriana were already seated. A neighboring table held the Castillos.

Anthony sat between his parents, his focus on the stage. He wore a fitted black suit and perfectly slicked-back hair. His expression remained stone-cold. Uncle Matteo tapped the microphone before speaking, testing it.

"Thank you all for being here tonight to celebrate my daughter Gloriana's engagement to the leader of the Black Army Mafia, Anthony Castillo. This event signifies the union of two powerful families and the end of a troubled history."

I clapped, Gloriana's smirk catching my attention. I stopped before glaring at her.

"Some of you know the history between the Black Army Mafia and the Royal Mafia. We've come to unite these families and establish peace. I present the golden couple of the century."

The applause resounded as Anthony and Gloriana walked onto the stage, his hand intertwined with hers.

Uncle Matteo handed the microphone to Gloriana, her fake smile plastered on. I narrowed my eyes, my grip on the wine glass tightening.

"Where do I start? Well thank you for joining us tonight to witness this special moment in our lives, reuniting Anthony and me."

I scoffed quietly, taking another sip of wine. Liana looked at me with concern.

"Anthony and I have known each other for years, meeting in college and even dating briefly. But the timing wasn't right then."

I stared, my grip on the wine glass causing it to shatter. All eyes turned to me. I remained expressionless, glancing at my parents' disapproving glares.

"Gabriella, compose yourself. You'll ruin everything," my mother whispered before shooting another glare my way.

Amidst the commotion, Gloriana continued, "I apologize for dear cousin who seems to be having a rough time, but anyway she's happy for us, right?"

I forced a smile, avoiding her taunting gaze.

"Would you like to say something, Anthony?" He took the mic, addressing the crowd.

"Our marriage unites these families and brings peace. We form an alliance between our Mafias."

My body tensed as he glanced at Gloriana. "I'm glad to have the support of this beautiful, intelligent woman beside me."

He pulled out a red velvet box, getting down on one knee. My heart sank, watching as Gloriana gasped, covering her mouth.

"Marry me?" Shouts of encouragement filled the air as Gloriana nodded, saying "Yes."

The cheers intensified. Anthony kissed her cheek before opening the ring box. A tear slid down my cheek, unnoticed.

In that moment, I felt a need to intervene, but it was too late.

"Stop!"

It took me a moment to realize the voice was mine.