Gym Class

"Daddy? Daddy is that you?" I'm a little kid again and peeking through my parents' bedroom door.
"Ralph, please don't do this!" My mom rests her hand on dad's shoulder but he moves sharply and releases it harshly. My mom's face looked like she was about to cry.
"I've had enough of this family!" Dad boils out with anger. Every piece of hair stood up and gave me the chills. Dad would never say that. It gave me a fright and I stood back so that he wouldn't see me. "I'm sorry Sarah, but you stay here with your 2 kids, because they're not mine anyway." What? Tears rise up and make my vision go blurry. Does that mean I have been living with a man that has never held me in his arms at the hospital? No that can't be true. Dad has been the person I wanted to be with if I had a scraped knee or a stomach ache. He would sing me a lullaby and I'd fall asleep feeling secure in his arms.
"They are your kids, never talk to them that way." Her voice was thick and her hand rests on her forehead. Dad's too busy grabbing things from his wardrobe to notice. "They don't deserve this, Ralph." She muttered and came to the point of crying. I can't look. This isn't real. Oh god please tell me this isn't real. Mom. Dad. This isn't real!
"Ralph! Listen to me for just a second!" Dad stops and stares at her dead in the eye. His jet black hair is a mess in front of his face, along with his white dress shirt untucked and tie undone hanging loosely along his neck. His gentle looking grey eyes now look like a predator about to launch for its prey. "Honey, don't leave because of them! They're just kids. You should at least talk with them, you never have enough time for them at all!"
"Sarah, they are 8 right now! Come on, you have to admit that they're not my responsibility and they're not even my kids..."
"Stop saying that!" She leaves the room and didn't even recognize me at the door! I turn and see dad sitting at the edge of the bed with his head hung low between his knees. Or is he even my Dad? I want to go in and comfort him saying everything's going to be okay. I put my glasses back on and slowly make my way to our room. Dad is not Dad. He's my stepdad.

"Daddy!!" I wake up to a pool of sweat around my body and wet tears dripping down my cheeks. Hair stuck to my face and my head spinning again. Why do I always pass out? I look around the room and it's pitch dark. With the moon's help there is a ray of light. On the edge I see, I think Lex with her legs crossed. But didn't she wear purple shorts? This person is wearing grey sweatpants. Oh, it's just Pete. "What are y-you d-d-doing here?" I sniffle. Nightmares. I see Alexa sleeping gently and innocently on the floor beside me. I chuckle a little that she's drooling on the side of her mouth.
"You fainted, and I came as soon as I heard a thud. Alexa just started sobbing saying that you fell in her arms. She feels guilty for throwing that pillow at you." He looks at me for my reaction.
"How long have I been sleeping?"
"5 hours."
"Huh."
"It's 3:00 a.m. right now by the way."
"Thanks." I felt awkward and a little sick. With nothing else to say I smiled at Pete and he smiled back. He seemed to be reading my mind. How funny this is sounding.
"Did you put me in bed?" I challenged him. My smile got bigger. He looked down in embarrassment. "Hey I was teasing, I knew probably mom ran in and put me into bed." That's when I froze. Paralyzed. He leaned in and kissed my forehead.
"Goodnight, Case..."
"Umm.. Goodnight I guess.." He stroked my cheek and smiled. I was yet, still paralyzed. Don't judge me! I never had a secret admirer, a boyfriend, or a crush so bear with me! He walks over to the other side of the room closes the door and a huge pile of guilt fills my stomach. How was I suppose to tell Caley tomorrow that oh, your boyfriend just kissed me and stared at me for God knows how long and smiled at me with affection. But I have to admit it kind of felt, in the bottom pit of my heart, nice. I lean back, stare up at the ceiling, and shut my eyes. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Note the sarcasm. Good night.