Chapter 33

Light strikes of pink littered the sky as Y/N and Five walked through the large spread field, looking for the place the waves detector instructed them to go. They had passed through at least three huge circles implanted in the ground, something you'd feel you'd see if there was a UFO landing.

Heavy breathing started to get louder as Five and Y/N reached another line in the maze of corn and Five pushed the plant aside to see Vanya sitting in the ground, looking up at them with wide eyes as if she were expecting to see someone else.

"Hi, Vanya."

"Who are you?"

What?

"We're your siblings," Y/N said, uncertainty laced in her voice as she helped Vanya up.

"I have siblings," Vanya questioned.

"Yeah. We're standing right in front of you," Y/N furrowed her brows.

"Look, you can either stay here and wait for the IKEA mafia to come back to kill you, or you can come with us," Five sighed.

"Wh...why are they trying to kill me?"

"You aren't supposed to be here, Vanya," Y/N explained.

"In Dallas?"

"In 1963," Five said as he lead them out of the corn field and into one of the huge circles.

Vanya looked around with a dazed expression as she saw the circle and flattened corn. "Oh my gosh," she muttered.

"Yeah, pretty wild, right," Five said sarcastically. "It's good to see your powers are still intact. Let's go."

~~~

Y/N, Five, and Vanya sat next to each other in a small cafe that was just in town after they had drove in an awkward silence out of the country.

They had figured that she lost her memory somehow after she arrived in 1963. A heavy silence was filled in between the three as the pouring of coffee was the only thing heard in between them

The waitress filled Five's mug and turned to leave before Five stopped her.

"Leave the pot, please," Five said as the woman pushed it towards him, rolling her eyes.

"Loopy little kid," the waitress muttered as she went to the back.

"You gonna tell me what's going on," Vanya asked.

"When you were a baby, you were bought by an eccentric billionaire. He raised you in an elite academy with six other siblings with extraordinary powers, but in the year 2019, in order to avoid the apocalypse, we jumped into a vortex and ended up being scattered throughout the timeline in Dallas, Texas," Five explained simply, Vanya's face creasing at every word.

There was a few seconds of a heavy silence before Y/N placed her coffee mug on the table.

"So, any questions?"

"What do you mean, the apocalypse," Vanya asked.

"I mean the end of the world as we know it," Five sighed.

"Yeah, but how?"

Five gave her a pointed look before he shook his head and turned in his seat.

"You really don't remember anything?"

"No, nothing before a month ago," Vanya answered.

"Then, what do you remember?"

Vanya looked away in thought before answering the question. "I landed in, like, a...back alley. Got hit by a car. My head was ringing like crazy. I had no idea how I got there, where I came from. What causes the apocalypse," Vanya explained.

Five exchanged a glance over his shoulder to Y/N who was very attracted to the wooden table and he lightly nudged her arm, gesturing towards Vanya so he wouldn't be left alone in explaining to her she caused the apocalypse.

Shortly so, Y/N got the memo and Five cleared his throat, tightening his tie.

"Asteroid impact," Y/N said, adding a light shrug to her partial lie.

Five nodded along with her idea of the half-truth and sipped his coffee. "Big kaboom ends everything. Kind of like what happened with the dinosaurs, except much worse. Bad news is, it followed us here."

"What do you mean, followed us," Vanya asked.

"Eight days from now, the role ends in a nuclear doomsday," Five said quietly. "It's a different disease, but...same result."

Vanya started at the two of the and tilted her head, disbelieving what they had just explained.

"That can't be right," she said with a nervous smile.

"I saw it," Five closed his eyes and sighed, taking another sip. "You were there. We all were."

Vanya's eyes widened at the new piece of information and she let out a small curse before she bolted across the room, straight to the telephone. She didn't know why she believed two strangers, let alone kids, but something told her this wasn't a joke, from the way they finished their coffee without any facial expression to the way they found her in the middle of the field with enough information to last on what happened last night.

Shuffling around, Vanya took a coin from her pocket and shoved it into the telephone and the line started to ring for a few seconds before it picked up. Vanya opened her mouth to speak but a hand gripped the receiver from her hands and shoved it back onto the line, ending the call she made to the farm.

"Hey! What the heck," Vanya yelled.

"We don't have time for this," Five said quickly as Y/N payed the waitress their bill and joined the two.

"That's my friend you just hung up on," Vanya said, furious.

Five grabbed Vanya's shoulders harshly and spoke lower. "Listen to me. Those people from the field are coming after us. They are not going to stop. Do you understand me?"

Vanya looked over her shoulder to Y/N who nodded slightly, making Vanya's worries rise tremendously.

"We need to stick together, Vanya," Y/N said softly. "It's the only way we'll make it out of here alive, along with the whole world. Along with the Coopers."

Vanya's mouth closed from letting out another complaint as she turned her back to Five and Y/N. "How do you..."

"We need to find the others," Five interrupted. "Find them and stop this doomsday. Whoever this person is, they can't be more important than the rest of the world. We need to go."

~~~