Chapter 1

"Pogo, what's the point of still training if Dad's dead?"

Pogo sighed and gripped his cane patiently. "You shouldn't speak of Master Reginald's death so lightly, Miss Y/N."

Y/N rolled her eyes and straightened her posture before slouching slightly again. She was Number Eight. One of the world-famous children that fought for the city and lived under the roof of the Umbrella Academy, taught by Reginald Hargreeves.

Mr. Hargreeves had however died from a heart attack a couple days ago, leaving the rest of the world slightly unbothered.

Y/N had been with Reginald since she was a baby. And as all her siblings started drifting away by time, Y/N had stayed. She wasn't stupid enough to go out into the world of expenses and annoying people.

"Besides, we still have the city to worry about," Pogo continued after a while.

"I don't think they really care. The people these days are too suicidal," Y/N flopped onto a chair.

"Miss Y/N," Pogo said sternly.

"Sorry, Pogo. But it's a little too hard to take a chimpanzee seriously."

Pogo shook his head but fought off a smile as he laid his gaze upon Y/N again. "You are thirty years of age. You should start taking some things a little seriously."

Yes, she was in fact thirty years in age but she had always been put under as a child due to her appearances. She hadn't yet grown out of her 13 year old body, with the ruling from Reginald that she had hypopituitarism.

As this was a known fact to those living in the house hold, Y/N gave Pogo a pointed look, crossing her arms. She didn't like it.

Pogo shook his head at her antics and stood at the doorway. "Fine. Your siblings will be arriving soon. I suggest that you prepare yourself until then."

With that, Pogo left the room, his cane's clanks against the wood floor echoing their way out before the girl was left with silence.

Y/N groaned and rubbed her temples before sitting up and smoothing over her uniform and pulling on her sleeve slightly. She didn't know what to say to her siblings. She didn't know how they'd react. For some, it's been years since she last met and none of them had left with good terms.

Walking over to the kitchen, Y/N grabbed an apple and began to eat it, looking over her shoulder at the clock that hung over the refrigerator before she turned back to the table.

Grace was sitting nearby on the taller barstool as she looked down at her hands, working in progress a small knitted scarf, with red borderline and a small bow in the corner, humming happily to herself as she used her fingers to finish the last knots.

Everyone in the Umbrella Academy knew that Grace as designed by Reginald Hargreeves as a mother figure. But, they had always had a soft spot for her. Grace may be a robot, but she was the only thing remotely close to a parent they could get, so they loved her for it.

She was there for the mourning of Ben, the disappearance of Five, and always helped Diego with his stuttering.

Y/N was especially fond of Grace, especially since she was living alone for so long in a huge house. She was the only one she felt she could talk to.

Even if they didn't always agree on things, it hurt all of the kids after seeing how harshly Grace was treated by Reginald.

Y/N opened her mouth to speak with Grace before small footsteps further down the hall interrupted her and a familiar man wearing all black with a small pouch on his chest stepped into the kitchen, looking around before his eyes finally landed on Y/N and Grace.