Chapter 5

17 years ago

During extreme weather conditions, a climber must possess the wisdom to determine...when evacuation is inevitable.

There was the shrill sound of a bell ringing which interrupted Y/N's reading as she got up and marked her page before placing it on the nightstand and walking into the hall with her siblings.

Arriving at the dining table, the eight children stood behind their assigned seats as they waited for Reginald to arrive, listening to the record playing in the background.

And the anchoring of the climbing rope to one's enemy, the mountain. The Dulfersitz rapper is preferred method for descent when rope is the only available tool, but must be regarded as a last resort.

Reginald Hargreeves soon waltzed into the room and pulled his chair back before staring back at his children.

"Sit," he ordered.

The sound of wooden chairs dragging against the floor echoed through the room as the teens sat down and began their meal.

In the background, Herr Carlson talked his way through he use of rope and all the children were quietly doing their own things.

Luther and Allison shared their own awed, lovesick looks, Diego carved into his wooden chair with his knife, Klaus fumbled with his drugs, Ben read a book under the table, Y/N played with a rubix cube, Vanya sliced her food, and Five glared at Reginald from across the table.

Reginald sipped his wine, staring back at Five as if he were daring him to do something.

From beside Y/N, there was a loud clang and everyone looked up from whatever they were doing to see Five holding a knife that's had been stabbed into the table.

"Number Five," Reginald asked strictly.

"I have a question," Five pulled his hand from the knife, ignoring the stabbing glares from his siblings as he crossed his arms.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time travel," Five argued.

"No."

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spacial jumps, just like you said," Five reappeared next to Reginald with his arms out. "See?"

"A spatial jump is turbo so when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to defending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it," Five snapped, glancing over to the side and digging his hands in his pockets.

"Hence the reason you're not ready," Reginald explained.

Five sighed and stared at his siblings, ignoring a frustrated Y/N, before his eyes caught something outside the window.

An...Umbrella? Flying with the wind?

Five unintentionally clenched his fists as he gave it all his might to listen to what Reginald was saying.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five scowled and he tapped his foot impatiently before he felt something build up in the pit of his stomach. Like a quaking feeling. Like he wanted to defy the odds.

He started to walk away, ignoring his fathers yells on how he wasn't excused from the table, unaware of how his walking had turned into a full on sprint, exiting the house.