Chapter 19

"Where's Diego," Y/N asked as she buckled up.

"He said he wasn't coming. His friend from the police ratted him out. He's in jail."

Y/N sighed and Allison started the car, turning out of the city and into the country as rain pattered against the window and a comfortable silence enveloped the two.

"So, Uh, how was life back at the Academy after we all left," Allison asked, breaking the silence.

"It was normal. I didn't really expect it, though. After all the chaos with Five's disappearance and Five's death...it's kind of what I thought would happen," Y/N answered, playing with her hands.

"You still miss Ben, right?"

Y/N snorted. "Huh. Who doesn't. Ben was practically our rock, as much as he was barley involved with the rest of you. He was still my friend."

Allison's eyes softened at the sight of her sibling and she looked away to avoid spilling tears.

Sure, she wasn't closest with Y/N during their days in the academy. In all honesty, she thought Y/N was a cold-hearted jerk who didn't care what happened with the rest of them.

However, after she heard about what she thought about Ben, she couldn't help but rethink on something she believed for most of her life.

She knew Y/N loved Ben, but really, not to this extent.

Allison bit back a sigh as she rethought about the sudden partnership between Y/N and Five. Someone that Allison thought could maybe, just maybe, fix up whatever broke inside her sibling.

~~~

Y/N had stayed awake for the rest of the night, taking the wheel after she saw Allison getting groggy. She did want to be left alone with her thoughts. It had been years since someone brought up the topic of her isolation in the academy and Ben's death.

Sure, they were topics mentioned here and there in the academy, but now that Y/N really got to think of it, she felt as though she wanted to sleep and forget about it over some time.

Allison groaned from the passenger seat, rubbing her eyes drowsily as she looked up at the roar. The rain stopped. "Are we here yet?"

"Almost there," Y/N answered. "Wait. No, we're here."

Y/N stopped the car in front of a cozy looking capon with a mailbox labeled: JENKINS. They got out of the car and walked along the sidewalk, keeping their eyes peeled for any sort of movement.

They trailed under the porch which was filled with logs and stopped in front of a window. Y/N crouched down and motioned for Allison to stay at the side while she checked inside. The house looked deserted so Y/N leaned closer but she was immediately startled when a bird squeaked loudly and flew off of the roof.

Allison sighed in relief while Y/N glared at the creature.

~~~

Y/N groaned as she pressed on the horn. She and Allison were in a traffic jam and they were still looking for Vanya and Harold. There hadn't been any sign of him or her yet.

"Look at that. What do you think the police is there for," Allison pointed to their side where there were several police cars and officers roaming around, placing tape around the parking area.

"Look, there's Vanya's scarf! She must have been here when the accident happened," Allison pointed to the familiar black and white wool that was hanging on a sign.

Allison grabbed her sunglasses and got out of the car, making Y/N roll her eyes.

"The sun's barely up," she mumbled.