Break

My heart stopped.

This can't be happening. It can't, it just can't. This isn't how it was supposed to go, this wasn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to come home. He was supposed to be okay, he promised. He promised me he was going to be okay.

"..Kevin, are you there?"

"...What do you mean?"

I was convinced I'd misheard her. I had to have misheard her.

"He was brought into the hospital."

No.
No No No No No No No.

"W-What do you mean?"

"I mean he was brought in a few minutes ago."

I think at that point it finally clicked. The same thing was happening to him. The same thing that happened to my mother and father, the same thing that always happens when I love somebody. I knew it. I knew I was a curse, I knew he was going to get hurt, I just.. didn't want to believe it.  Everyone I love gets hurt. And it's my fault. It's always my fault, he's going to die and it's my fault. Oh god. He's going to die. They always die.

"Oh no.. oh no..." I could feel my breath starting to escape me

"Kevin-"

"I-Is he okay!? Oh god, he's not okay.. W-What happened? He's going to be okay, right? Adelaide, tell me he's going to be okay! Oh god.. Oh god.."

"He's going to be okay! Kevin, he's going to be fine! His appendix ruptured while he was in class, he was brought in right away. He's going into surgery for an emergency appendectomy, he'll be fine. I just thought-"

"Surgery? He's having surgery!?"

"It's a very common procedure, Kevin"

"C-Can I talk to him?"

"I'm sorry, Honey, no."

"Why the Hell not?"

"They're preparing him for surgery, now."

"He can't go into surgery! That's bad, that's very bad!"

"Kevin, he needs to have surgery. It's a minor procedure, he'll be up and taking walks, tomorrow."

"Tomorrow!? He can't stay!"

"He has to. Just for a few days, depending on how he does. It's not long at all"

"He can't stay in the hospital, bad things happen there, very bad things!! He's gonna die- oh god, he's gonna die- oh god, he's-!" My heart was pounding out my chest

"He's not going to die, Kevin!"

"He is- he is, I know it!"

"Kevin, it's okay. This procedure is done all the time, it's very safe. He'll be back home by friday."

"I-I need him here, now!"

"We can't do that, Kevvy. He's going to be just fine."

"That's what they said about my mother!!" I shouted back, my voice breaking.

"Oh, Sweetie.."

"H-He can't be in there, he won't come back, people go there and they don't come back! He won't come back, don't let him go in! I can't lose him! I can't.." I wheezed

"You won't. I promise you, you won't. He's going to be just fine."

"Does he- Does he have his little stone?"

"His what?"

"That stupid little stone he carries around in his pocket, he says it brings him good luck, it- it keeps him calm when he's nervous, please tell me he has it!"