Chapter 11

Running shortly after Pierce, it was a struggle in these heels and I internally cursed Xander and Archer as to who's great idea it was to have stiletto heels to be part of the girls uniform. Before I could reach the staircase I saw Reese standing outside her room, looking worried but also not surprised.

"Reese, you should probably go back in your room." I gave her a forced smile, worried that it was about to come to her too.

"It's no use." She sighed "Pierce and dad are always fighting, and ever since Xander came over the other night to talk to Pierce about you, it's been non-stop. Dad's been getting after Pierce since I was really little, mom doesn't ever step in either."

"What?" I asked confused, taking in the things she was saying to me "Why did Xander come over to talk to Pierce about me the other night? And what does that have anything to do with your dad?"

She shrugged in response, with no real answers to give me I was still left confused and lost. I encouraged her to go back into her room and lock the door as well as text one of her siblings if she needed anything but she swore that she was safe and Mr. Gunner wouldn't lay a hand on her.

With that said I had ran down the spiral staircase, hoping to catch up to Pierce and I did as I saw him leave the front door, letting the screen-door swing closed behind him. Hurrying after I him, I approached the porch where Pierce started to walk towards his car.

"Pierce!" Mrs. Gunner called after him, as she went over to grab his arm. Pierce ripped his arm away immediately from her grip and shook his head. Her eye's shared the same worry and defeat that Reese had as well.

"Don't. Why don't you leave that deadbeat!" Pierce gritted through is teeth, Mrs. Gunner's expression falling and I could only imagine the pit she had in her stomach. She shook her head slowly, closing her eyes shut tightly and mumbling something too quiet for me to here.

Pierce looked back towards me and nodded towards his car. I took that as my signal that it was time to go and for the first time ever I was happy to get in the car with Pierce. I made my way to the car, before getting into the passenger where Mrs. Gunner's eyes met mine.

Her face was ridden with sadness, her skin pale with worry, and I could tell she was on the verge of crying. Pierce slammed his car door shut before putting the car in reverse and swiftly making his way out to the street.

I sunk back into my seat, letting out a silent exhale of relief that we had both been out of that situation as to whatever it was. I looked over to Pierce who still had reminisce of dried up blood on his skin, but his hands clutched the steering wheel as he sped through the streets.

"Can you please tell me what the hell is going on?" I begged, wanting to get out of these never ending circles that my mind was running in. "Does your dad hit you on the regular? Why did he do it over me? Why are you suddenly so protective when a few weeks you were the one beating me? Is Reese ok? Why didn't your mom do anything? Why did Reese say Xander come over to talk to you about me the other day?"

I babbled on with a million questions as I turned in my seat to face Pierce. I had no idea what to expect from these questions and I couldn't even make a guess as to what the first thing would be to solving these. Pierce's eyes glanced towards mine before turning back to the road.

He sped up, taking a turn down a road and soon coming to a local park that had been empty since most kids were in school as well it wasn't exactly park weather. Pierce pulled into a spot before putting the car into park. He shut the car off before letting his hands fall from the steering wheel.

He turned his head to the side, now facing me. His grey eyes bored into me, making my stomach flip. Pierce cocked an eyebrow at me "You really want to know?"